You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Flying GA aircraft on Vatsim, is it doable?

Robert Cardone 1323915

Robert Cardone 1323915
Posted
Posted

I flew on Vatsim many years ago, for a couple of years, flying Tube Liners. Got away from simming for a long time, and a couple of years ago resumed flying, and now am flying mostly A2A aircraft like the AT6, Connie, Comanche, etc. I just was curious as to the feasibility of flying these type aircraft in Vatsim . Most of what I have seen so far is Boeing's and Airbus large jets going from one Hub airport to another. If I want to fly around 100-150 miles which is my normal flight , what would be a game plan to do this and get some ATC from Vatsim, either IFR or VFR (makes no difference to me, I am comfortable with both).

a2abanner182.jpg

Joseph Jucha 1343412
Posted
Posted

Absolutely! Best bet might be to view VAT-SPY/VATTASTIC or some other network viewer and look to see where there are two tower/gnd/app facilities manned within your range.

It doesn't mean someone might close or your way, but it is your best 'everyday' bet.

Tube or Commuter, makes no difference to me.

I got to the door!

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Agreed! We welcome GA traffic; really, there isn't enough of it on the network. You might find that in some places, where tubeliner traffic is the norm, it might take a little while for controllers to get back into the swing of some of the low-and-slow stuff.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I fly a lot of GA in addition to Part 121 and I find most controllers do well handling both. I occasionally have to remind them I'm /A and can't go direct to something that's not on the VHF band, lol... otherwise, few issues.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Robert Cardone 1323915
Posted
Posted

I flew 4 different flights today, 3 VFR and the last one IFR, with my A2A AT6 Texan and it was great. I think I am hooked on Vatsim now.

a2abanner182.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Chris Kirkman 1396980
Posted
Posted

Definitely. I spent over a month flying a C172. All VFR, then started some IFR. It was much easier than what I'm currently flying (MD-88) because I had so much more time to make decisions, navigate, auto-pilot, etc. It was a great learning tool for me too. Now I fly with a great deal of confidence and aren't intimidated by the ATC anymore.

Robert Cardone 1323915
Posted
Posted

It's been about a month since I posted this question and as of tonight I have 86 hours flying on Vatsim. A2A Aircraft I use"

Cessna 172

Cessna 182

AT6

Lockheed Constellation

Thanks for the encouragement. I have had zero problems flying either GA aircraft or the Connie on Vatsim. Look forward to every flight.

a2abanner182.jpg