You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Just Started Using vFDIO

Evan Reiter

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

I just bought a flight strip printer (mostly for use during large, in-person events we do). Adds a new level of realism. vFDIO is a well-created, thought-out program that has the perfect set of tools for the VATSIM world.

I know the software is very much in beta at this stage, and don't mind doing the occasional reset to keep it working. (Sometimes, I find I have to actually close and re-open it each time I print a strip.)

If there's anything I can do to help with beta testing/crash reports/etc., let me know! I'd love to see a stable version of the client that I can count on during a large event to reliably print departure strips. I have a few other ideas too.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Evan, when you say you "bought a flight strip printer", I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you mean a generic receipt or label printer (like Epson or Zebra brand)? To my knowledge, actual flight strip printers are outrageously expensive and difficult to obtain.

I have decided to shelve further development of vFDIO because it's too difficult to maintain support for different printers. For example, printer A could use a completely different syntax/protocol than printer B (e.g. Epson vs Zebra), and printer C could use the same protocol as printer A, but be limited to which functions it has available to use (e.g. no support for printing lines needed for the boxes on the flight strip).

Limiting support to only a select few printer models would be the only way I could reasonably resume development of vFDIO. Although I make no promises or guarantees, I am happy to hear the ideas you have.

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted

Evan,

I use 'Flight Strip Manager' from http://bafio.altervista.org/fps.htm

Works on home printer, you can set the strips dimensions and cut your paper prior before placing into the printer, works wonders.

It has m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive customization and is easy to use if even just for printing.

Doesn't connect directly to VATSIM and all callsign says on the network are accessible.

• 4 weeks later...
Kamren Perkins
Posted
Posted
I just bought a flight strip printer (mostly for use during large, in-person events we do). Adds a new level of realism. vFDIO is a well-created, thought-out program that has the perfect set of tools for the VATSIM world.

I know the software is very much in beta at this stage, and don't mind doing the occasional reset to keep it working. (Sometimes, I find I have to actually close and re-open it each time I print a strip.)

If there's anything I can do to help with beta testing/crash reports/etc., let me know! I'd love to see a stable version of the client that I can count on during a large event to reliably print departure strips. I have a few other ideas too.

Where can I find a copy of vFDIO?

Sincerely,

Kamren Perkins

Facility Engineer

vZKC - Kansas City ARTCC

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Sorry for the delay, I had the topic subscribed but somehow didn't see the notification.

Evan, when you say you "bought a flight strip printer", I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you mean a generic receipt or label printer (like Epson or Zebra brand)? To my knowledge, actual flight strip printers are outrageously expensive and difficult to obtain.

Yes, I have a Zebra label printer on Dhruv's recommend. It's the Zebra LP 2824 Plus, to be exact.

I use 'Flight Strip Manager' from http://bafio.altervista.org/fps.htm. Works on home printer, you can set the strips dimensions and cut your paper prior before placing into the printer, works wonders. It has m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive customization and is easy to use if even just for printing.

Doesn't connect directly to VATSIM and all callsign says on the network are accessible.

Great, I'll give that a try!

Limiting support to only a select few printer models would be the only way I could reasonably resume development of vFDIO. Although I make no promises or guarantees, I am happy to hear the ideas you have.

Good to know. I'll give the other suggestion above a try and see how that one works. As far as features on vFDIO go, the program itself has the functionality I would use on a regular basis. My biggest issue is that it seems to "freeze" fairly regularly, requiring a restart sometimes as frequently as between each flight strip. I didn't know about the FlightStripManager program that Johnny mentioned, so let me give that a shot first.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Justin, is there a way I could help test the bug where vFDIO appears to stop working after printing a couple of strips (requiring a restart)? It's my hope to be able to use it (with the Zebra LP) to print flight strips for us during live/in-person events. Obviously things would be much more robust if we could count on the software to reliably print flight strips over the course of a 4-hour event.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
Justin, is there a way I could help test the bug where vFDIO appears to stop working after printing a couple of strips (requiring a restart)? It's my hope to be able to use it (with the Zebra LP) to print flight strips for us during live/in-person events. Obviously things would be much more robust if we could count on the software to reliably print flight strips over the course of a 4-hour event.

I may have some free time this weekend so I might pull out my Zebra printer and test it out.

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS