You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Sudden disconnect while on UNICOM = banned?

Yannik Zausig 1376086

Yannik Zausig 1376086
Posted
Posted

Hey pilots and controllers,

this evening I made my first flight on VATSIM. It should go from EDDF to EGLL, but while in the FIR of Brussels (near WPT BUB) I suddenly got disconnected.

Langen Radar Low advised me to monitor UNICOM on 122,800, and I guess I made the mistake here: UNICOM means text messages primarily - and I just said something.

However, I was looking if there was any controller online like Maastricht or Brussel itself, but I didn't find anybody.

What to do now? That's a little bit confusing for me as a newbie.

Kind regards

Yannik

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

No, just reconnect. You'll know if you've been forcefully removed. Both you and the servers can experience timeouts, this is normal. Unicom is for blind transmits and coordination with other people on text, but writing is optional. You can be penalised for abuse, but not for lack of use.

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

I can confirm that you have not been suspended and are welcome to log back in at any time. I get disconnected occasionally and it is usually due to something at my end and rarely a server issue, but they do happen from time to time.

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Yannik Zausig 1376086
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your great replies Magnus and Mark. It was my first flight and I thought I'd know the general rules pretty well.

While on my first flight and after advised to monitor UNICOM, I was unsure how to know if there's any radar controller like Maastricht etc. online. So, here's the question (should we move this question to another topic?): do I need to switch servers in order to find other controllers outside Germany?

Kind regards

Yannik

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted

There is a great new application available to VATSIM members called Accomeap, it can be used to see pilots and controllers everywhere in the world!

http://accomeap-project.com/

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
Do I need to switch servers in order to find other controllers outside Germany?

No, all the servers are connected so you can see pilots/controllers regardless of which one you connect to.

Yannik Zausig 1376086
Posted
Posted

Okay, then everything's fine. Just started to wonder why Gatwick director was joining us on Germany1

@Andrew: nice program, accomeap seems quite a helpful tool :thumbsup: