You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Switching frequencies question

Robert Cardone 1323915

Robert Cardone 1323915
Posted
Posted

Last evening I flew on my first really crowded Vatsim Event. Approaching the airport, approach control was really busy talking to quite a few aircraft, and i was given clearance to the Loc approach for a runway. That was the last instruction I was given. It was impossible to recontact approach due to radio traffic, so I landed and pulled off the runway. At that point, I saw that there was a tower controller on VPilot, I contacted him, and told him that I was off the active, and he was talking to another aircraft, repeatedly trying to contact that other aircraft, and I could not even get his attention.

Now here is my question, in the real world, I would never change frequencies unless directed to by the controller I am talking to. Does this also apply to Vatsim? In other words, was it proper to stay on approach until approach handed me over to tower, or should I have just switched to tower when I was on the localizer?

a2abanner182.jpg

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

You were cleared for the localizer, so the aircraft would be in front of the runway. However it was not cleared for the ILS, only the localizer, so you wouldn't be able to descend below your cleared altitude with the glideslope.

If you were cleared for the ILS, but you did not receive clearance to land on the runway, you execute the standard go-around/missed approach procedures as stated on the runway specific charts. Don't switch to another frequency without being told so (there is one exception: when there's an auto handoff procedure, for example Tower to Ground when vacating the runway or Tower to Approach/Departure after p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing x feet). If you really can't get hold of the controller, try to send a text message. Sometimes I'm able to answer text messages in between while someone is reading back on the voice channel.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Robert Cardone 1323915
Posted
Posted
You were cleared for the localizer, so the aircraft would be in front of the runway. However it was not cleared for the ILS, only the localizer, so you wouldn't be able to descend below your cleared altitude with the glideslope.

If you were cleared for the ILS, but you did not receive clearance to land on the runway, you execute the standard go-around/missed approach procedures as stated on the runway specific charts. Don't switch to another frequency without being told so (there is one exception: when there's an auto handoff procedure, for example Tower to Ground when vacating the runway or Tower to Approach/Departure after p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing x feet). If you really can't get hold of the controller, try to send a text message. Sometimes I'm able to answer text messages in between while someone is reading back on the voice channel.

Great answer, thanks.

a2abanner182.jpg

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted
Last evening I flew on my first really crowded Vatsim Event. Approaching the airport, approach control was really busy talking to quite a few aircraft, and i was given clearance to the Loc approach for a runway. That was the last instruction I was given. It was impossible to recontact approach due to radio traffic, so I landed and pulled off the runway. At that point, I saw that there was a tower controller on VPilot, I contacted him, and told him that I was off the active, and he was talking to another aircraft, repeatedly trying to contact that other aircraft, and I could not even get his attention.

Now here is my question, in the real world, I would never change frequencies unless directed to by the controller I am talking to. Does this also apply to Vatsim? In other words, was it proper to stay on approach until approach handed me over to tower, or should I have just switched to tower when I was on the localizer?

Big distinction here is if you were "Cleared for the LOC approach, rwy XX" vs. "Intercept the rwy XX localizer". After all, simple LOC approaches do exist right, so it's not an unreasonable instruction. The former allows you do descend within the capacity of the approach. The latter does not. The latter is a technique by controllers to get you pointed in the right direction until such time that they can clear you for the approach. As stated above however, it is only a lateral clearance, to which they must follow up with an official approach clearance, be it an ILS, visual, whatever.

As far as the second issue. If it was an event, and I know there was a busy one last night, you honestly probably just got lost in the shuffle. It happens. It's a much higher workload with expanded sectors, etc. So, your options are to fly the last instruction provided even if it means you flying right down the runway centerline at XXXXft. or you can try and get a quick word in to the approach controller asking for an approach clearance. Really that's it. Tower will hit up the approach controller behind the scopes scene and ask what is this aircraft doing, and they'll realize too late that they forgot about you. Then they'll get you back in the system for another go at it. If you were cleared for the approach and decending for the runway, then quick ask approach "callsign, over to tower now?". In Vatsimism only, and if you were cleared for the approach, then just make the switch to tower.

Now, not realizing a tower controller was online until you were already vacated is kinda on you as a pilot. Being an event, it's highly unlikely the controller just popped on. So a little better planning may be in order there. In the end, it's Vatsim. It's an event. Not everything is going to go swimmingly or accurate 100% of the time, but people do their best. Leave some feedback with the ARTCC, but also include the positive experiences. Give it another go at another FNO as your experiences will always vary. Have fun!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
In the end, it's Vatsim. It's an event. Not everything is going to go swimmingly or accurate 100% of the time, but people do their best.

Amen to that. Flying into Midway last night, Approach was a bit behind the power curve with a couple loss-of-separation incidents, and I got a very late ILS intercept ("SWA1456, are you established?" "Uh, close enough.") followed by a handoff to tower at about the same time as the "minimums" callout. Should I have gone around? Of course. But rather than inflict an unexpected maneuver on an already overwhelmed App/Dep staff, I dialed in Tower, blurted out my callsign and the words "... extremely short final," and got cleared to land well over the threshold and at about 30 feet AGL. Technically legal it was not, but in the spirit of fun it was good enough. Handed to Ground I thanked Tower for his services ", brief as they were," and the controller and I shared a laugh on PM about it as I prepped my next leg.

So remember that Controllers for events aren't always in practice at dealing with high traffic volumes, and allow a little leeway by tempering realism with fun -- and keep in mind that no matter what, nobody will die in the process.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Also -- please don't take my last post as criticism of the event ATC. They were doing their best to keep up and were very professional, and it was a good time.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Robert Cardone 1323915
Posted
Posted

Just as an add on, I did another event this evening in Toronto from CYYZ to CYOW. It was a blast, really busy at both departure and arrival, and even saw some traffic fly by me in the opposite direction, which was called out by ATC. Everything was perfect. Controllers were fantastic.

a2abanner182.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

In the real world things can get busy, too. If APP forgets to hand us off to TWR and we cannot get a word in on a jammed or packed frequency, we will just switch to TWR ourselves. There will be no harm done: either APP will be grateful that we avoided a missed approach and keeping his sector busier than necessary or TWR will be thankful that we finally check in with him.

In general you do not change frequency without instruction, but sometimes you need to use common sense. Aviation is about applying common sense, not blind obedience of rules!! There's more grey than black and white. As long as it was safer than following the books it will have been acceptable.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted
Aviation is about applying common sense, not blind obedience of rules

One of my favorite quotes from Ernest K. Gann ("Fate is the Hunter") is...

A rulebook made of paper will not cushion an impact made with rocks

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training