You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Agree with need for new map - Here's another idea

Mike Lehkamp

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Agree with the folks who called upon a better map for VATSIM.

I'd like to propose another software recommendation that would benefit everyone - controllers & pilots alike.

We all currently (as pilots) have the ability to pre-file our flightplans and I use this feature 100% of the time. It allows me to file, then review the flightplan with my student. It retains your prefiled plan for up to 2 hours. Excellent.

WHAT I'D LOVE TO SEE:

Is the ability for folks to log on to a VATSIM page, controllers and pilots, and post their intentions for any given day. Sounds confusing I know. But how many time do we as pilots log on, see who is controlling, file our flight plan, and then be dissapointed when the controller logs off. I know, I know, everyone has lives and I get it. That said, it would be nice to logon to a page and see, for example, DC Center plans to be on from 8-10PM EST on a day I wish to fly. Or a Boston approacher plans to work a given day from 6:30-10:00PM EST. Or EDDF approach intends to work from 9-10 GMT. etc etc etc.

This would benefit everyone. It would not need to be 100% accurate. Just something to help plan your flight for any given day. And for controllers to anticipate they're traffic loads. Many will not interpret what I'm suggesting. Some will and will see how beneficial this would be to everyone.

Michael

1.jpg

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

Some European Vacc's (such as the Dutch Vacc already have a booking thing on their website. Sometimes controllers come online spontaneous, but often it's used (you'll see 19.30 - 21.00/.30 used quite often). I've been told such a thing isn't common in the US Vacc's because they like the freedom to come on and get offline when they wish to do and not stick to a time they intended earlier.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted

Accomeap already has this feature implemented, using the tool VATBOOK. Its on the sidebar - labeled "Bookings" underneath the ATC and Pilot counts.

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Robert Cardone 1323915
Posted
Posted
Agree with the folks who called upon a better map for VATSIM.

I'd like to propose another software recommendation that would benefit everyone - controllers & pilots alike.

We all currently (as pilots) have the ability to pre-file our flightplans and I use this feature 100% of the time. It allows me to file, then review the flightplan with my student. It retains your prefiled plan for up to 2 hours. Excellent.

WHAT I'D LOVE TO SEE:

Is the ability for folks to log on to a VATSIM page, controllers and pilots, and post their intentions for any given day. Sounds confusing I know. But how many time do we as pilots log on, see who is controlling, file our flight plan, and then be dissapointed when the controller logs off. I know, I know, everyone has lives and I get it. That said, it would be nice to logon to a page and see, for example, DC Center plans to be on from 8-10PM EST on a day I wish to fly. Or a Boston approacher plans to work a given day from 6:30-10:00PM EST. Or EDDF approach intends to work from 9-10 GMT. etc etc etc.

This would benefit everyone. It would not need to be 100% accurate. Just something to help plan your flight for any given day. And for controllers to anticipate they're traffic loads. Many will not interpret what I'm suggesting. Some will and will see how beneficial this would be to everyone.

Michael

That would be a great feature. What I have been doing is using Accomeap to see how long a controller has been logged on, and if it is just a short time, thinking that the controller will be there for awhile. This doesn't always work. The other day, I saw a controller on for 20 minutes, set up my entire flight, got my clearance, took off and as soon as I was airborne, the controller signed off and I was on Unicomm for the entire flight.

a2abanner182.jpg

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Bingo Robert.

That is exactly what I'm referring to.

1.jpg

Wygene Chong 1089621
Posted
Posted

Mike, this is a perennial request that always receives the same answers. As Andrew mentioned, Accomeap does show bookings from around the world, which saves you from looking up the booking list in each country. However, whether controllers should book or not book their sessions is an extremely vexed question.

Essentially, most controllers just hop on when they feel like it. It has been said that the Europeans are more apt to book sessions (e.g. VATSIM Scandinavia), which is why you'll find a lot of European bookings in the Accomeap list and on their individual websites. However, even in Europe, many do not book beforehand, and many controllers may hop on for only 30 minutes then decide they have other things to do. This cannot be helped.

In terms of pilots booking their sessions, this would be a pretty cool feature but I suspect the same problem will arise.

Wygene Chong

C1 Controller | Iceland | Greenland | Faroe Islands

VATSIM Scandinavia

Callum Strawbridge
Posted
Posted

I'm pretty sure Vroute used to have an option to book flights as a pilot. While I like the Idea behind bookings, as a pilot and controller, I often get on in my free time and wouldn't be able to give much notice for bookings.

VATNZ is another division that uses a booking system regularly for their controllers.

Callum Strawbridge

VATPAC Senior Instructor 

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted
Mike, this is a perennial request that always receives the same answers. As Andrew mentioned, Accomeap does show bookings from around the world, which saves you from looking up the booking list in each country. However, whether controllers should book or not book their sessions is an extremely vexed question.

Essentially, most controllers just hop on when they feel like it. It has been said that the Europeans are more apt to book sessions (e.g. VATSIM Scandinavia), which is why you'll find a lot of European bookings in the Accomeap list and on their individual websites. However, even in Europe, many do not book beforehand, and many controllers may hop on for only 30 minutes then decide they have other things to do. This cannot be helped.

In terms of pilots booking their sessions, this would be a pretty cool feature but I suspect the same problem will arise.

Fair enough. Thank you.

1.jpg

Tim Simpson
Posted
Posted

A bookings map with a time window slider that showed departures and ATC visually would be interesting. If pilots and controllers used it, it would be a fantastic tool.

Like a lot of people though, my simming time is often spur of the moment, and rarely planned.

Tim

Bradley Flood 1311363
Posted
Posted
A bookings map with a time window slider that showed departures and ATC visually would be interesting. If pilots and controllers used it, it would be a fantastic tool.

Like a lot of people though, my simming time is often spur of the moment, and rarely planned.

Tim

Accomeap is looking into this idea, sounds interesting.

VATSIM Controller 1 Rated

VATSIM P2 Rated

AccuMapDeveloper.png

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Hey Brad, is it possible to get city streets, highway, etc. etc. overlay on the map? I really like Accomeap but I must admit I use PlanG for that exact reason.

Thanks,

Mike

1.jpg

• 1 month later...
Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted
Or a Boston approacher plans to work a given day from 6:30-10:00PM EST

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delayed response. Just incase you aren't aware, Boston Virtual ARTCC already has an ATC Timetable of our own. I understand that what you're asking for is a consolidated timetable, but in the mean time if you're looking for Boston ATC be sure to check our ATC Timetable to find when controllers are scheduled to be online.

Best,

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor