You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Selecting folders in model matching

Morten Jelle

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

I have noticed, when you have want to select and deselect a complete folder, the lower folders will not be deselected/selected, so you still have to manually select deselect the lower folders. Is that supposed to be like that?

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If you uncheck a folder none of the models within that folder will be used. I deliberately didn't have it uncheck all the models when you uncheck the folder, to allow users to turn individual models on/off without losing those choices if they decide to turn the containing folder on/off.

I may make a change to make this more clear ... I would have it "gray out" any of the models within a folder that is unchecked, while still retaining the state of the checkbox for each individual model.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I would offer as a possibility:

Check the main folder, all subelements are checked

Uncheck the main folder, all subelements are unchecked (but still selectable)

Main folder unchecked but subelements are checked, the check box next to the main folder is colored (preferred) or shows a 50% transparent colored check (lesser preferred alternative), showing that some elements are checked and some are not

For example, Weapons and Vehicles sections, below:

qSuEd.png

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Uncheck the main folder, all subelements are unchecked (but still selectable)

That would have the same issue that I was trying to prevent, namely that the user might spend time going through the individual models in a subfolder, excluding some models that they don't want used, (such as old colors) and then they would lose their work if they selected or unselected the parent folder, either deliberately or accidentally.

That's why I'm thinking it might be best to just gray out all the models when a folder is deselected, but retain the state of their checkboxes.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

So as not to offend, please everyone reading this know that I am just kidding (mostly, kind of) when I say the first thing that popped into my mind....

"You can't fix stupid"

(followed shortly thereafter by "Yep, I've done that!")

Don Desfosse

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I suppose another way to handle it would be to have a confirmation popup when you select or deselect a folder ... something like: "Are you sure you want to enable/disable all models within this folder and its subfolders?"

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Just my personal opinion -- that would be more annoying. I think at least 97% of folks (ought to) know that selecting or deselecting the master does the same for the subordinates.

Don Desfosse

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I agree that most people understand that that is the normal behavior. My concern is about a single *accidental* click of the checkbox, undoing potentially hours of work carefully deselecting all the "old" or "retro" color models.

Edit: Come to think of it, I guess if a user does accidentally click and undo all that work, they still have the opportunity to press the Cancel button before the change is saved.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I just released v2.1.11 which will show models and folders in gray if they are unchecked, or a parent folder is unchecked.