You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

WOAI and Vatsim traffic not showing?

Dean Geddes 1403653

Dean Geddes 1403653
Posted
Posted

I recently joined Vatsim and I wanted the other Vatsim users to show up as their real airlines, so I downloaded and installed the World of AI package. For standard FSX AI aircraft it works fine but when it comes to showing other Vatsim users, around 80% of the planes are grey, like all my Vatsim AI was before I installed the models. I am aware the WOAI package has around 3000 models and my vPilot detected all of them when I launched vPilot, so I don’t know why it is not displaying many aircraft models on the network? Occasionally I seem to see the odd easyJet or KLM Vatsim user whose plane is displaying the right livery, but apart from that most are greyed out, with no livery. This is not very realistic so could someone please explain what I have done wrong?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

What troubleshooting have you already done? If you haven't yet tried these, try in this order:

1. Did you check your fsx.cfg file to ensure your [Main] section has a SimObjectPaths line that points to your WoAI installation

2. Are they gray, or are they all showing as the default white airbus?

3. Have you used the .aircraft command to see what aircraft are around you, what they have logged in as (i.e. have they logged on with a correct identifier), and what model matching is displaying?

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Dean Geddes 1403653
Posted
Posted

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Lets discuss each of your 3 steps, step-by-step here.

Firstly, I have checked my fsx.cfg and I don't believe I have a SimObjectPaths line that points to my WoAI installation. See below, what I mean this is what I see...

[Main]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

In terms of your second question, the answer is that they are grey, pretty much every Vatsim AI except the odd easyJet or Thomas Cook is completely grey.

Thirdly, when I type the .aircraft command into vPilot, I get a list of aircraft appear nearby. In the rule set column, most are auto generated but some say N/A. I would show you a screenshot, but I can't seem to be able to insert disk images into this post.

Thanks for your help.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Could be #1 is your issue. Where did you install your WoAI AI aircraft? If to a separate location, e.g. in it's own directory, you need to add a line to your fsx.cfg to point to the location.

e.g.

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\WoAI

Don Desfosse

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

I have never seen Vatsim traffic ever. I get advised to traffic in my area sometimes and I always just say "in the clouds but looking" even if its clear skies.

1.jpg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Mike, to troubleshoot that, go to an airport that has a bunch of traffic on the ground, fire up the sim and vPilot, and see what you can see. The .aircraft dot command is very helpful in pointing out what you should be able to see, what model matching is being used, etc.

Don Desfosse

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Don, thank you. I'm using FS2004 and Squakbox. I spent nearly 3 days couple of months ago troubleshooting this. I believe the problem maybe that I'm running Squakbox over a second computer/network.

Mike

1.jpg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Ah, OK Mike. Sorry, but I don't think I can be any/much more help. Although I used to use SquawkBox years ago before vPilot came out, I never ran it in a networked configuration. Maybe someone else has and can be more help. Good luck!

Don Desfosse

• 1 month later...
Dean Geddes 1403653
Posted
Posted

Hi Don,

I don't think #1 is the problem. I checked and I have not installed my World of AI models into a separate directory within the Airplanes folder. All the models I installed are separate inside the Airplanes folder. So what else do you think could be the problem?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Any luck/results with this one?

3. Have you used the .aircraft command to see what aircraft are around you, what they have logged in as (i.e. have they logged on with a correct identifier), and what model matching is displaying?

The point here is to see if vPilot thinks it's doing proper model matching, or if you're not getting model matches because people are logging in either incorrectly or with aircraft you don't have, or vPilot cannot model match because it can't find your AI.

Although the Troubleshooting Guide was written for vPilot v1, much of the model matching is still valid (just not anything to do with vmr files, as that's no longer needed for v2, and instead of .debug, use .aircraft). Have you checked that out? viewtopic.php?f=132&t=64672

Don Desfosse