You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Assistance [NEEDED BADLY]

Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen
Posted
Posted

Hey Guys! I just registered to VATSIM today, and I am using a Mac device using xSqawkBox, and I did a microphone test and it says your good to go. Anyways, I don't know how to do anything.

Things I need to know how to do:

• Talk to ATC / Or talk to somebody in the server
    Use voice chat
    Why I can't hear anyone else talking.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Things we need to know before we can help you with the things you need to know...

Operating System?

Flight Simulator?

Pilot Client?

The VATSIM Pilot Resource Center (PRC) found here... https://www.vatsim.net/pilot-resource-centre ...will help answer those questions. Have you looked at it? Have you looked at any of the pages and pages and pages of reference material VATSIM and the various Pilot Client Developers have put together?

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
Things we need to know before we can help you with the things you need to know...

Operating System?

Flight Simulator?

Pilot Client?

Speaking of people not reading information that's readily available...

Mac device using xSqawkBox

Andrew Allen
Posted
Posted

Operating System?

Flight Simulator?

Pilot Client?

Speaking of people not reading information that's readily available...

Mac device using xSqawkBox

Could you send me were that information is?

Andrew Allen
Posted
Posted

Operating System?

Flight Simulator?

Pilot Client?

The VATSIM Pilot Resource Center (PRC) found here... https://www.vatsim.net/pilot-resource-centre ...will help answer those questions. Have you looked at it? Have you looked at any of the pages and pages and pages of reference material VATSIM and the various Pilot Client Developers have put together?

Randy

Operating System: MacOSx

Flight Simulator: X-Plane 11

Pilot Client: I don't know what that is?

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Well, that's just downright embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing, now isn't it?

My apologies Andrew. I had read your post earlier and came back to it later to find no one had answered and...true to form...made an [Mod - Happy Thoughts] of my self.

Not too proud to say I apologize.

Luckily, I could p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] by Bradley on the streets of Boise and not know it was him or he know it was I.

The PRC can be found at the link I put in my other... ...post. Not sure about xSquawkbox manual, but I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume a readme file comes with the download. Dang it...there I go [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming again. I also [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume, well poop, that's two [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umptions in one message, that you are using xPlane, probably 11 but maybe not, since you are using xSquawkbox. If you are not using xPlane...wait a minute, let me reread your first post to make sure I didn't miss it...nope, no flight simulator specifically listed, just implied, then I don't think xSquawkbox is the one you want.

Randy

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
If you are not using xPlane...wait a minute, let me reread your first post to make sure I didn't miss it...nope, no flight simulator specifically listed, just implied, then I don't think xSquawkbox is the one you want.

Now read his third post.

Andrew, the pilot client you're using is XSquawkbox, also known as XSB.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Andrew Allen
Posted
Posted
Well, that's just downright embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing, now isn't it?

My apologies Andrew. I had read your post earlier and came back to it later to find no one had answered and...true to form...made an [Mod - Happy Thoughts] of my self.

Not too proud to say I apologize.

Luckily, I could p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] by Bradley on the streets of Boise and not know it was him or he know it was I.

The PRC can be found at the link I put in my other... ...post. Not sure about xSquawkbox manual, but I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume a readme file comes with the download. Dang it...there I go [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming again. I also [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume, well poop, that's two [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umptions in one message, that you are using xPlane, probably 11 but maybe not, since you are using xSquawkbox. If you are not using xPlane...wait a minute, let me reread your first post to make sure I didn't miss it...nope, no flight simulator specifically listed, just implied, then I don't think xSquawkbox is the one you want.

Randy

Randy

Hey Randy, thanks for all your help, yet I still need a lot, would you be able to hop on a discord or a Skype call with me?

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Andrew, I suggest you read through the PRC as it answers most of your questions. Also read through any docomeentation that came with XSB. If you have any questions at that point, come back and ask. Your questions are easily answered if you read the material linked above.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Andrew,

You are being so patient with me, despite my obvious lack of reading skills, a skill I recommend using on these very forums all the time.

By the way, I like my crow baked and basted with a butter garlic mix, gentlemen. Not fried.

Of course I would be willing to help on Discord or Skype, Andrew, but honestly, I don't think I'd be much help as I have never used a Mac device, I do not have the xPlane11 simulator, and I have never used the xSquawkbox pilot client. (Did I get all three that time, gentlemen, now, what? Five or six posts in?)

Then why did I chime in here, one may ask...and I'm sure they will? I'm asking that of myself, given my obvious faux pas! Well I did so because I wanted to point Andrew in the direction I try to point all those needing help...the PRC...which must be read, a skill, as I pointed and and showed with resounding success, I failed to use in this case.

Start there, Andrew, the PRC. It will answer many, many of your questions. I am also reasonably certain that xSquawkbox comes with setup instructions or a manual. Look at that as well if you haven't already. I recently helped a gentlemen in one of the VAs I belong to figure out how to squawk mode Charlie and how to Ident with his transponder using xSquawkbox and I found a manual to read somewhere on the web, just don't remember where, that I used to answer his questions about the transponder.

And in the future I promise I will read also...

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI