You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

STUDENT TRAINING

Peter Armstrong 1230152

Peter Armstrong 1230152
Posted
Posted

I have a question with respect to STUDENT Training.

When I underwent my TWR then APP Training I was offered the option of commencing training either on a Minor or Major airport. If, I choose Minor, then after qualification, a Major checkout must be done for Major certification. However, if I choose Major training, then that qualification would automatically certify me on Minor.

All this seems to be in accordance with VATSIM GRP.

However, recently – at my ARTCC – Training can now be carried out simultaneously on both Minor and Major airfields – at the same time!

I wondered if this is in accordance with VATSIM GRP and/or is this something now common amongst other ARTCCs??

If so, what is the point of having a Major airport in an ARTCC?

Peter

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

It is - the point of combining it, is that the student doesn't have to sit at airports with no traffic for hours before he can start on the major airport. Does it make sense to have a major airport? Yes it does, because it avoids controllers without the required knowlegde to staff a position at the airport/airspace.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

Wygene Chong 1089621
Posted
Posted

Additionally, simultaneous training allows students who might previously have only learnt procedures for a major airport to now be more aware of local procedures for minor airfields.

Wygene Chong

C1 Controller | Iceland | Greenland | Faroe Islands

VATSIM Scandinavia

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

Minor (GRP Rating) training has its place outside of the major track. It is very useful for getting people on the scopes as it should take less time to achieve the core competencies for the rating. Adding a major certification on top of the rating can prolong training as those local procedures have to be learned, thus restricting the student from controlling at all.

In my opinion it's more valuable to get someone controlling at a minor airport where they can practice with live traffic while still working on their major certification.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"