You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ASRC training vs VRC

Jean-Francois Joly 930846

Jean-Francois Joly 930846
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone,

I'm starting my virtual controller training. I'm using VRC as I find it more user friendly... Do I still need to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the ASRC exam if I want to move on?

Thanks,

JF

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

JF,

In VATCAN, ASRC is the official radar client. Sadly, we do not offer an alternate exam for those who wish to use VRC.

If anything, complete your ASRC training, and get software certified for it; then, in your own time, learn VRC and once you're comfortable with it, switch.

Hope this helps

Eric Fraenkel-Gaffr� 890
Posted
Posted

A VRC newbie trying to transition to ARSC will be at a loss and create carnage online while he is trying to figure out the program.

I do not think that a newbie who just observes has had sufficient information to say he wants to use one program over another. So we have to plan for students to be able to use both programs.

We cannot ask a user who trained VRC and wants to use ASRC to call us back for training. Nothing online prevents him for trying it and we do not have the ressources to check who is using what when.

We are not segregating anybody from using anything. But by training the hardest of the two radars, we ensure students are able to go back and forth between the two. Once ASRC is understood, they can use VRC without restriction.

Another solution would be to train ASRC and VRC. Insist on the similarities and differences. But isn't that a lenghtier process than just learn one and say well the other one works best on two screens but is easier to use? If you need help with it call me back otherwise good luck with the rest of your training?

Its a fact of life in aviation, many different versions of many different things have people learn a version that isn't the one they are going to use and learn of their particular version difference at the end or on their own. I suggest students bite their lip for the what, 2 hours max that the course online is and then they are free to use any radar approved by VATSIM without any other concern, the second they finish the radar exam.

And its FALSE that ASRC is VATCAN official radar client. Its the one preferred for training but both radars are currently used and very well allowed online, and all VRC current users have had ASRC training, which made it unecessary for them to to get retrained. Or esle we're all using it illegally.

I do not believe we need to retest anybody who's had a good ASRC training. Lets start by changing the ASRC EXAM to a RADAR EXAM and make sure all questions fit both programs. But lets not change any of our procedures. Some students will whine, some always do, but its a safer and more efficient way to have everybody on the same page. Thats the main issue.

Cheers,

Eric.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

JF, I think you'll find that many of the most common functions are handled the same way between VRC and ASRC. Just about everything you learn while using ASRC will be applicable to VRC. Almost all the common function key [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignments and dot commands are the same. There are differences, of course, but the learning curves are quite similar.

I'm not sure why VATCAN has an "official radar client" policy, but I'll contact their staff to see if I can help resolve the issue. Perhaps they just haven't had the time to draft a client-independent exam.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
We are not segregating anybody from using anything. But by training the hardest of the two radars, we ensure students are able to go back and forth between the two. Once ASRC is understood, they can use VRC without restriction.

I believe this is a false [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umption ... some people may find VRC harder to use because it is designed for multiple-monitor systems. Many single-monitor users prefer ASRC's interface for that reason.

Lets start by changing the ASRC EXAM to a RADAR EXAM and make sure all questions fit both programs.

That would definitely be the way to go, in my opinion.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

Ross,

I think that it was a miscommunication when one of the senior staff said it was the "official client" in the staff forum, and I was just carrying it on by repeating him. However, even a simple change of words on our exam for ASRC would accomodate those who use VRC as well. For the time being, everything is labelled as ASRC.

In any event, I'm sure they would appreciate an email from the developer

Alex Brault 931841
Posted
Posted
A VRC newbie trying to transition to ARSC will be at a loss and create carnage online while he is trying to figure out the program.

I do not think that a newbie who just observes has had sufficient information to say he wants to use one program over another. So we have to plan for students to be able to use both programs.

We cannot ask a user who trained VRC and wants to use ASRC to call us back for training. Nothing online prevents him for trying it and we do not have the ressources to check who is using what when.

Another solution would be to train ASRC and VRC. Insist on the similarities and differences. But isn't that a lenghtier process than just learn one and say well the other one works best on two screens but is easier to use? If you need help with it call me back otherwise good luck with the rest of your training?

Its a fact of life in aviation, many different versions of many different things have people learn a version that isn't the one they are going to use and learn of their particular version difference at the end or on their own. I suggest students bite their lip for the what, 2 hours max that the course online is and then they are free to use any radar approved by VATSIM without any other concern, the second they finish the radar exam.

And its FALSE that ASRC is VATCAN official radar client. Its the one preferred for training but both radars are currently used and very well allowed online, and all VRC current users have had ASRC training, which made it unecessary for them to to get retrained. Or esle we're all using it illegally.

I do not believe we need to retest anybody who's had a good ASRC training. Lets start by changing the ASRC EXAM to a RADAR EXAM and make sure all questions fit both programs. But lets not change any of our procedures. Some students will whine, some always do, but its a safer and more efficient way to have everybody on the same page. Thats the main issue.

Cheers,

Eric.

I guess it depends on the person, because I did the switch from ASRC to VRC quite easily. Only a few hiccups but Matt helped me with those. But I will admit knowing ASRC helped me a great deal with the key shortcuts and etc..

3447.png