You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Disconnecting without telling atc

Logan Ruby 1408284

Logan Ruby 1408284
Posted
Posted

I was on a flight from salt lake City to Las Vegas and my parents told me to get off so I disconnected without telling the atc covering the area I was in. Should I have told them I was disconnecting or is it fine that I didn't?

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

It's fine that you did that. People disconnect all the time.

The issue lies with reconnecting. If you plan on reconnecting, make sure you're not going to be a conflict with other traffic (connect as an observer perhaps). After you do that, ensure that you make contact with ATC first if you are in controlled airspace. I don't recommend reconnecting in approach airspace as it tends to be much more congested, and reconnecting may cause a sequencing problem.

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Oh wow, it has never once struck me to use OBS logging back in, my brain seems to have padlocked that as shared cockpit mode.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

@Logan: it will never hurt if you tell your controller that you need to disconnect and thank him for his service provided so far. Don't forget that all members are donating their time to make this hobby work.

It's a question of consideration, courtesy and respect.

Logan Ruby 1408284
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone!

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

BTW when you get older you get the same problem!

But instead of "my parents told me to get off so I disconnected " it turns into "my wife told me to get off because we need to leave so I disconnected"

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
But instead of "my parents told me to get off so I disconnected" it turns into "my wife[/i ]told me {...}"

... or my cat walked across the surge protector and turned it off, or my network/power went out, or who knows what else. It's courteous to let them know if you can, but it occasionally happens where there's no warning, & they understand that & won't hold it against you. (For that matter, It happens to the controllers, too!)

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png