You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Best division to Visit

Adam Kenny 1386789

Adam Kenny 1386789
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone,

I am an S1 controller, in the VATSIM UK Division. What is the Best division to VISIT? I've heard that VATAME is good, but you need to hold an S2 (I don't have) and VATUSA but the only bad thing is the m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive time zone difference. Anyone know any divisions that have a minimum S1 rating and not a huge time zone difference?

Cheers,

Adam

Ernesto Martinez
Posted
Posted

It's more than the TimeZone. Remember VATUSA uses FAA Phraseology which differs from the International Phraseology (ICAO). You would have to learn those differences prior to getting started. It honestly depends on what you are looking for in terms of traffic and requirements. I don't know much about S1 rule since my Division allows those visitors but in terms of traffic you have to keep in mind that some areas of the Middle East might have different levels of traffic, especially on a Ground Level. Also, being in a division may not guarantee you are going to be controlling a major airport. For instance, if you go to Miami, your initial certification would only allow you to control Minor Fields and not KMIA. You would need additional training for that.

Ernesto Martinez

Membership Audit Team
VATSIM Supervisor

[email protected]
  support.vatsim.net

vatsim_0.png

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Adam, as much fun as it might be to visit as an S1, I recommend that you remain within ICAO procedures until you're at least an S3, as it might be easier to grasp concepts then and you will have to focus less on relearning material, and more on adjusting to new procedures/phraseology.

Adam Kenny 1386789
Posted
Posted

Thanks Josh, I'll probably do that