You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Descending on Unicom, Approach with ATC

Daniel Smith 1408194

Daniel Smith 1408194
Posted
Posted

So I wouldn't say I'm new to VATSIM, but I'm definitely shy when it comes to approaches with ATC as I don't wanna be "that guy" to just ruin everything. So I was wondering..

There's no center online and I'm descending on Unicom, I filed a STAR and the APP controller says it's ok. Obviously I need to begin my descent before entering their airspace, but when I contact them what should I do? Should I stop descending and see what the controller wants me to do, or continue descending, tell them I'm p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing x altitude when I call in and just let them give me instructions from there?

Like I said, I don't wanna call in/enter their airspace at a ridiculous altitude that could be problematic for them, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Another question is that a few controllers I've spoke to says if I'm on Unicom and I enter the airspace of a center controller, I should just wait for a contact me but then on a few occ[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ions I've been told that I should call in once I enter their airspace.

Once again, any advice/help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
There's no center online and I'm descending on Unicom, {...} Obviously I need to begin my descent before entering their airspace, but when I contact them what should I do? Should I stop descending and see what the controller wants me to do, or continue descending, tell them I'm p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing x altitude when I call in and just let them give me instructions from there?

Descend via the STAR (either via the firm restrictions along the way, or cross the key waypoint at the "expect" altitude indicated on the chart, depending on the type of procedure) & give them a call approximately after you cross 18,000 with your position, altitude, what you're descending via or to, and ATIS identifier if there is one. That's a little early but will let them know you're coming. Normally if you're doing the "normal thing" you won't be disrupting them in any way, but they'll let you know if they need to deviate you for sequencing or to move you around to approach a different runway than what you had in mind.

a few controllers I've spoke to says if I'm on Unicom and I enter the airspace of a center controller, I should just wait for a contact me but then on a few occ[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ions I've been told that I should call in once I enter their airspace.

The "letter of the law" is that *you* initiate the call. *Most* controllers (in my experience) will shoot you a "Contact Me" if you cross into their space & aren't already in touch, but, a few will not and will just let you plow on through without a word. The airspace boundaries, particularly for Approach (TRACON) sectors, are not always clear-cut so most controllers will cut you some slack & give you a shout at the appropriate time. If in doubt, call early, & if you're not in their space yet they'll let you know, & may give you an idea when to ring them up again.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Daniel Smith 1408194
Posted
Posted
There's no center online and I'm descending on Unicom, {...} Obviously I need to begin my descent before entering their airspace, but when I contact them what should I do? Should I stop descending and see what the controller wants me to do, or continue descending, tell them I'm p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing x altitude when I call in and just let them give me instructions from there?

Descend via the STAR (either via the firm restrictions along the way, or cross the key waypoint at the "expect" altitude indicated on the chart, depending on the type of procedure) & give them a call approximately after you cross 18,000 with your position, altitude, what you're descending via or to, and ATIS identifier if there is one. That's a little early but will let them know you're coming. Normally if you're doing the "normal thing" you won't be disrupting them in any way, but they'll let you know if they need to deviate you for sequencing or to move you around to approach a different runway than what you had in mind.

a few controllers I've spoke to says if I'm on Unicom and I enter the airspace of a center controller, I should just wait for a contact me but then on a few occ[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ions I've been told that I should call in once I enter their airspace.

The "letter of the law" is that *you* initiate the call. *Most* controllers (in my experience) will shoot you a "Contact Me" if you cross into their space & aren't already in touch, but, a few will not and will just let you plow on through without a word. The airspace boundaries, particularly for Approach (TRACON) sectors, are not always clear-cut so most controllers will cut you some slack & give you a shout at the appropriate time. If in doubt, call early, & if you're not in their space yet they'll let you know, & may give you an idea when to ring them up again.

Hope that helps,

Extremely helpful information, thank you very much! I wish you a wonderful christmas and new year.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

To think of it another way...

You always want to follow your most recently issued ATC clearances/instructions until they are canceled or contradicting ones are issued. If ATC wasn't online and you were on Unicom, you are your own ATC. So, issue yourself your own descent instruction. That instruction remains valid until APP/DEP issues a new one that contradicts it.

Daniel Smith 1408194
Posted
Posted

You always want to follow your most recently issued ATC clearances/instructions until they are canceled or contradicting ones are issued. If ATC wasn't online and you were on Unicom, you are your own ATC. So, issue yourself your own descent instruction. That instruction remains valid until APP/DEP issues a new one that contradicts it.

I guess that's another way to look at it, thank you sir. Have a nice christmas!

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Is that why people on Unicom are giving themselves clearances? Often see pilots saying “cleared for takeoff.” “Cleared to taxi via .....” “cleared via STAR for RWY xx”

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
Is that why people on Unicom are giving themselves clearances? Often see pilots saying “cleared for takeoff.” “Cleared to taxi via .....” “cleared via STAR for RWY xx”

Maybe a little bit... I'm guessing it's mostly just because they don't filter/think about what they're saying, similar to requesting IFR clearance "as filed".

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

My take on it is that it's pilots who have never experienced anything besides IFR with wire-to-wire (virtual) ATC, and don't know what a CTAF frequency is nor how to use it. The VATSIM Code of Conduct doesn't really offer a lot of guidance on what should be said, and the info on non-towered operations in the PRC is under VFR Procedures.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png