You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Text Requirement and Virtual Reality

James Daniel 1387106

James Daniel 1387106
Posted
Posted

Has there been any movement on adjusting or relaxing the text requirement to accommodate VR pilots? Or has anyone come up with a convenient solution to text with VR?

Keyboard usage and VR headsets don't go together, and with the latest wave of headsets that came out in late 2017 and the two main simulators boasting native VR support, I'm confident the question isn't going away. My understanding is Vatsim is intended to be inclusive, and the text policy is a part of that, and an understandable part up until recently, but I have to admit I'm being excluded by it now.

Once you fly VR, you're probably not going back to "flat screen" flying... I know I won't... but as of the current rules I can't participate in Vatsim because of it.

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Come and fly in the land down under mate.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted
Has there been any movement on adjusting or relaxing the text requirement to accommodate VR pilots? Or has anyone come up with a convenient solution to text with VR?

Keyboard usage and VR headsets don't go together, and with the latest wave of headsets that came out in late 2017 and the two main simulators boasting native VR support, I'm confident the question isn't going away. My understanding is Vatsim is intended to be inclusive, and the text policy is a part of that, and an understandable part up until recently, but I have to admit I'm being excluded by it now.

Once you fly VR, you're probably not going back to "flat screen" flying... I know I won't... but as of the current rules I can't participate in Vatsim because of it.

Hello James! I think the easiest solution to your ‘problem’ is to fly only on controlled areas using voice. It may be difficult to find places where you’ve got full ATC during your whole flight, but as long as there is a CTR connected, you can always fly between airports within its coverage. Maybe not on the zones you’d like to fly, but at least something...

You could also ‘hire’ a copilot only for texting on VATSIM, that’s simpler!

Me.

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted

James we've 3 controller and pilots in VATeir with oculus rifts, I myself am one of them.

Flying is fine as 99% of controllers on VATSIM use voice, as for UNICOM, I've not used it in uncontrolled airspace even when flying 2D, I monitor yes, type on it, no.

Our problem is that we can't control in VR, I've a 3D tower in FSX, I can inject Euroscope into FSX with the 'FlyInside' program but where it becomes difficult is with text pilots.

I agree with what you're saying once you've experienced flying and controlling in 3D it's hard to go back to 2D.

An old video when I'd my Oculus DK2 to show you what it's like in the tower