You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Engines quit when connected - craziness

Bob Donovan

Bob Donovan
Posted
Posted

I have the craziest problem going on and although I'm a pretty skilled troubleshooter, this one has me stumped. Through all my searches across the internet, I only found 2 others with a similar problem and no solution or follow-up.

Connected to Vatsim, chugging along the airways, and engines quit. Red and yellow lights everywhere.

This has happened in the TFDi 717, Aerosoft CRJ, PMDG 777. Oddly, it never happens in the PMDG 737 or 747.

I've removed all mappings (including keystrokes) to mixture cutoff.

I've run without Activesky.

When I disconnect from vatsim, the problem doesn't happen. When I connect again, sometimes withing a minute - sometimes 10 minutes - it happens again.

I'm not touching any buttons or controllers.

There seems to be some sort of a bump (like turbulence) right as it happens. But I can't be sure because the autopilot usually switches off at the same time the engines quit. On the CRJ and 717, I can recover with a CTL-E, but it will happen again a few minutes later.

I've been doing this a long time and I'm really out of ideas what it could be. It's too crazy of a problem to find any good leads. This has been happening both in P3D 4.0 and after the upgrade to 4.1.

P3D 4.1, Win 10

Appreciate any help or ideas.

Bob Donovan

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Does it happen if you are online but not within range of any aircraft?

Have you tried enabling the SimConnect debug log to see if there are any clues there?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Bob Donovan
Posted
Posted
Does it happen if you are online but not within range of any aircraft?

Have you tried enabling the SimConnect debug log to see if there are any clues there?

Ross - I can't say 100% for sure it happens out of range of other aircraft, but I can say for sure - it seems to happen more during events when I'm in the conga line.

In the mean time, I'll enable the simconnect debug log and see what it turns up next time this happens.

Appreciate the response... BD

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Shot in the dark, but could this be essentially the same problem as some JoinFS users are experiencing with P3D v4.1?

http://pmem.uk/joinfs/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=556

http://pmem.uk/joinfs/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=550

http://pmem.uk/joinfs/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=585

Does seem like there might be something weird going on when other aircraft are injected in to a P3D v4 session...

Vice President, Pilot Training

Bob Donovan
Posted
Posted
Shot in the dark, but could this be essentially the same problem as some JoinFS users are experiencing with P3D v4.1?

Does seem like there might be something weird going on when other aircraft are injected in to a P3D v4 session...

Simon - that sounds exactly like what's happening to me.

I'm wondering if it's being caused by model matching dragging in complex or like-planes to what I'm flying rather than a much less complex AI aircraft.

It seems they still haven't solved it over at joinfs.

I went over to vPilot in my model matching and noticed I have SimObjects/Airplanes checked.

http://prntscr.com/i34k3a

I will try this unchecked and see if this stops the problem. Thanks for the lead!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Do you have Carenado aircraft installed? Are they identified by vPilot during the model scan?

Bob Donovan
Posted
Posted

Ross - yes I do and yes they are.

We're on to something here aren't we....

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yeah, certainly seems like it. Instead of deselecting the entire SimObjects\Airplanes folder, try just deselecting the Carenado planes and see if that prevents the issue.

Bob Donovan
Posted
Posted

Simon and Ross. Thanks. I did four flights tonight in pretty heavy vatsim traffic and didn't have the problem.

This has been nagging me for months.

I'll keep testing it out, but looks like we may have found the culprit, although I'm curious what exactly is in the Carenado models that cause this. Maybe if I'm ambitious enough I'll re-enable them and turn on the simconnect error log.

Thanks again gentlemen. BD

Yeah, certainly seems like it. Instead of deselecting the entire SimObjects\Airplanes folder, try just deselecting the Carenado planes and see if that prevents the issue.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
although I'm curious what exactly is in the Carenado models that cause this.

Those threads in the joinfs forum suggest that it has to do with the copy protection in the Carenado aircraft. My guess is that when the aircraft is loaded as an AI model and not as the actual plane that you're flying, then the copy protection code doesn't work right, and thus the model cuts your engines, thinking you have a pirated copy of the software.

This is just a somewhat educated guess, though.

• 2 weeks later...
George Sansom
Posted
Posted

Guys

This is a very interesting topic, it's exactly what is happening to me.

I am also using P3dv4.1 and windows 10.

The engine stall on both engines happens with Prosim and iFly 737 aircraft.

I will look into the model matching and remove the Carenado a/c to see if that helps.

Cheers

George

Bob Donovan
Posted
Posted

George: It's been over a week and the problem has not re-occurred once I took the Carenado models out of vpilot model matching.

Hope you get the same positive results.

BD

Guys

This is a very interesting topic, it's exactly what is happening to me.

I am also using P3dv4.1 and windows 10.

The engine stall on both engines happens with Prosim and iFly 737 aircraft.

I will look into the model matching and remove the Carenado a/c to see if that helps.

Cheers

George

Michael Collins
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys,

I have the same problem - running the iFly 737 in P3dv4.1 in Win 10. I unticked the only Carenado aircraft in my V-Pilot model matching list before I started a flight on line from EDDF to EDDM. I just got to the hold at RW 25C when I came up behind another aircraft and had a dual engine failure, exactly as described very well in the first mail in this thread.

This is about the tenth time this has happened to me, usually at take-off or arrival - in any event when I come into range of another aircraft. I reset the flight but disconnected from VPilot and flew the same route without any difficulty. I don't think I can complete a flight on line with other traffic within range. I will try tomorrow to fly on line where there are no other aircraft.

Can I ask Bob if you just deactivated the Carenado by unticking the box in the vPilot model matching set or did you actually uninstall it?

Any other advice? Anybody?

Regards,

Michael

Bob Donovan
Posted
Posted

Hi Michael.

I unticked the Carenado aircraft in the model matching. I did not uninstall the aircraft from the sim.

If this isn't working for you, maybe there's another aircraft with the same behavior as the Carenado.

It might not hurt to uncheck all complex aircraft and leave just AI models.

If the problem is solved you can start adding them back one at a time until you find the culprit .. which would be good info for everyone.

I hope you get this solved. It made me bonkers for months as search results weren't producing a lot of similar issues.

Hi Guys,

Can I ask Bob if you just deactivated the Carenado by unticking the box in the vPilot model matching set or did you actually uninstall it?

Regards,

Michael

George Sansom
Posted
Posted

Hi Bob

Thank you so much for the information.

I have the Carenado A36 Bonanza installed, I have unticked the box in model matching and will now peform a few flights and post back with the result.

Regards

George

Michael Collins
Posted
Posted

Bob,

I de-selected all of the default aircraft in the model matching list in vPilot and installed a few AI aircraft, one of which I designated as the default for vPilot.

With that done, I flew with vPilot on Vatsim from Hamburg to Copenhagen with lots of traffic at both departure and destination. Not a single problem... Perfect.

I think you have solved the problem for me but I need to test the system some more and try re-activating the default P3D aircraft one by one.

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for your help in getting me back in the air again having been grounded for almost a month.

Kind Regards,

Michael

George Sansom
Posted
Posted

Hello again guys

I have now performed 4 flights online since removing the Carenado aircraft from the model matching.

Fingers crossed, so far all flights have completed without problem.

Lets hope this has sorted the problem.

Thanks all.

Regards

George

Bob Donovan
Posted
Posted

Great news. Ross and Simon are the real heroes in this story. It's been two weeks now and no issues.

Bob,

I de-selected all of the default aircraft in the model matching list in vPilot and installed a few AI aircraft, one of which I designated as the default for vPilot.

With that done, I flew with vPilot on Vatsim from Hamburg to Copenhagen with lots of traffic at both departure and destination. Not a single problem... Perfect.

I think you have solved the problem for me but I need to test the system some more and try re-activating the default P3D aircraft one by one.

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for your help in getting me back in the air again having been grounded for almost a month.

Kind Regards,

Michael