You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Logging on as an ATIS?

Richard Kinne 1414726

Richard Kinne 1414726
Posted
Posted

Hey Folks:

I've logged into the network as a pilot, and, via VRC, I've figured out how to log on as an Observer (although if you look me up, you'll find it took me more than a few times to figure out proper observer initials, but we'll just leave that aside for now. ). I am working on logging on as an ATC with Boston, and I can figure that out conceptually.

But I've seen that you can log into the network as an ATIS, but I've not been able to figure out details on this. Why is this done? How? What software? Is it an ATC function?

On the VATIS Online map I've seen red dots that seem to correspond to, among other things, ATIS logins and even Observer logins. I've not been able to figure either of these out. It seems that both logins are tied to a frequency, which makes sense for ATIS, but it doesn't make sense to me for observers. How does the map know where the observer is located?

Newbie questions! Thanks for the patients, folks!

37.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the network. Your questions are all good ones. And I'm glad to see you're eager.

ATIS connections are created by your ATC Client, or VATIS to provide your airports current weather conditions.

Your training staff will introduce you to how to setup and record an ATIS once you start working on tower.

Keep the questions coming

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

I'm not familiar with VATIS map (is it a mobile app?), the only map I've known that shows the location of observers is vatview.com, but it seems to be broken now. The observer frequency would be the one they're listening to, or 199.998.

If you're in training with Boston, they'll help you configure everything. I think you had to load a sector file to "go" to a particular airport, even if you were already connected to the right frequency.

KntU2Cw.jpg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

vATIS isn't a map; it's a program to provide digital ATIS information like so many RW airports (typically larger/major ones) are now doing. https://radarcontact.me/

Doc, great to read up on it in advance, and you can expect training on it from your ARTCC when the time is right.

And although you're certainly welcome to ask as many questions as you like here, you may find more personalized/localized information to your facility by asking on the ZBW forums.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted

What Don said

Welcome to Boston, Richard.

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Richard Kinne 1414726
Posted
Posted

Many thanks, folks! So, in essence it does seem like an ATC function.

Also, I do agree with trying to limit the scope of questions, and I'll certainly do that. In this case, however, my confusion on ATIS was so general I had no idea where the best place was at the time, hence this particular forum.

And, as usual, you guys came through wonderfully! Thanks!

37.png

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted
vATIS isn't a map; it's a program to provide digital ATIS information

Does it have a map? Otherwise I'm curious what Richard was looking at.

On the VATIS Online map I've seen red dots that seem to correspond to, among other things, ATIS logins and even Observer logins.
KntU2Cw.jpg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

No, it doesn't. He's brand new to VATSIM; I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume he meant VATSpy or similar, not vATIS.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations