Default install to /appdata/?

Okay, I can kinda see it for programs intended to only be used by a single user on a multi-user computer. Kinda. It still strikes me as a sub-optimal solution, but since I rarely use multi-user computers and almost never run into an "I only want one specific user to have access to this program" situation, no others come to mind quickly. To me, /appdata/ is for storing users' personal settings, not the program itself.

For permissions, if a program needs permissions it won't have in /Program Files/, just make the default install location somewhere else (e.g., C:\vERAM\).

And, for reference, my Chrome defaulted to installing in /Program Files (x86)/.

For permissions, if a program needs permissions it won't have in /Program Files/, just make the default install location somewhere else (e.g., C:\vERAM\).

That's one way to do it, and I see lots of other software do exactly that, but I personally hate cluttering up the root of the system drive.

Really this is all just a side effect of Windows not providing a proper place for user-specific apps to be installed, where you're guaranteed not to have permissions issues.

And, for reference, my Chrome defaulted to installing in /Program Files (x86)/.

Yes, that's where it goes if you have permission to write there, and you don't tell it to install for your user only. Else, it goes to appdata.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC