You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Flying the Conni online (Radio Nav only)

Klaus Schmitzer

Klaus Schmitzer
Posted
Posted

I want to fly the A2A Constellation online, a bit in "old school style" so no GPS, only Radio Nav and vectors when a contoller is online. Is this possible without disturbing anyone?

I would write "Radio Nav only" into my remarks and file my VOR to VOR route... Is there anything else that should be done?

Thank you very much!

500x125 SpecsSig2020_OCT.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Absolutely, Klaus!

Although I suppose you could write that in your flight plan remarks, please remember that the correct way to convey that information is by filing a correct equipment code in your flight plan. In your case, you'd (likely) file /U (or /A if you also have DME). Feel free to review https://www.vatsim.net/pilot-resource-centre/general-lessons/choosing-equipment-code in case it helps.

Perhaps an interesting point, and something many pilots are not aware of: Controllers are not required to view your flight plan remarks (although many do). So definitely convey the information by using the correct equipment suffix.

I'll say that from a "perfection" point of view, this should not be a bother or concern for anyone. That said, the reality of it is that decidedly most people are flying with some type of advanced navigation capability these days, and while there are still plenty of older guys controlling that remember /U and /A (and many of us flew real world planes /U and /A for many years), there are many younger controllers who have a majority of experience (I'd wager 96% or more!) controlling /L and /G aircraft, and may miss the fact that you are /X or /A and try to reroute you via SIDs/STARs/waypoints/routes you can't fly. So I'd suggest patiently reminding them that you are only /X or /A capable, and need a radio nav route.

Enjoy the Connie; she's a beautiful bird.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Klaus,

I fly the CalCl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic Connie all the time and have never had an issue from any controllers. I use equipment code "/A" since it has DME capability and also file a VOR to VOR flight plan. Only time any out of the ordinary happened with a controller was descending in Nor Cal once coming from Hawaii I think, and the controller was not familiar with the "CONI" icao for the aircraft and asked me what type of aircraft I was flying. After explaining it was a Lockheed Constellation the controller was very accommodating of my needs.

He had given me an altitude to descend to from above 10,000 feet to below 10,000 feet and I explained that I would have to level off at 10,000 feet for a few minutes to bring the blowers from high rpm to lo rpm. I don't know about in the A2A version, but in the CalCl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic version the procedure is one engine at a time, lowering BMEP on one engine, shifting the blower to Low, and bring BMEP back up. Then repeat for engine 2, 3, and 4. It can take a few minutes to do this and the controller was happy to leave me at 10,000 feet while I did this...even asked me a couple of questions about flying the Connie out of ineterest in flying her himself.

I have had nothing but a good experience with controllers when flying the Connie and other aircraft of that era in flight. And, I might add, I have melted a few engines flying her and others like her by not paying attention to mixture, cylinder head temps, and BMEP settings.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Klaus Schmitzer
Posted
Posted

Thank you guys for your in depth answers! Now I am looking forward to take her up into the VATSIM sky!

500x125 SpecsSig2020_OCT.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

You got some very good answers. I just want to jump on the bandwagon as someone who flies both the default Mooney Bravo and the Manfred Jahn DC-3 (C-47, really) both in /A mode, pretending I don't have a GPS "cheat" button, and have gotten nothing but stellar service from ATC. Only a couple times have I gotten "proceed direct _____ intersection" and had to respond, "unable, slant-Alpha, can I get a radial intercept?" and the controller said, "oh! of course. fly heading ___ and join the ___ VOR ___radial then proceed on course." No big deal if you just occasionally remind them what you can and can't do. Most, it seems, enjoy the challenge of having something out there traveling at a different speed than everyone else -- it gives them something to think about.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png