You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Re: Old post

Giridhar Penumarti 885582

Giridhar Penumarti 885582
Posted
Posted

Hello All,

This is quite possibly the first time i have posted here and i was reading with interest someone elses post re: Ground procedures at LAX airport. He was understandbly ticked off as no one would liked to be crashed into after a 10 flight. Someone had mentioned that Non-controlled areas such as terminal area's are out of ground control jurisdiction. My question is that who takes care of terminal area operations such as pushing back aircraft and how do aircraft get from terminal area to taxiway leading out without crashing into each other (i.e: who gives them permission to move around in the terminal area space), does it work like Toronto Pearson where i have encountered both a Terminal (Apron) controller (gives you pushback and engine start and taxi to a main taxiway clearance) and Ground controller? Clarification would be very much appreciated, Thanks.

Gary.

Fly Mile High

http://www.denartcc.org

Fred Clausen
Posted
Posted

Gary,

Depends on the airport. Some airports there are ramp controllers which give you push instructions. They make sure you're trip from push back to the taxiways are ok. Other airports, generally just parts of the airport (JFK is a good example) where the ground guy actually controls your push at CERTAIN gates because you'll push onto a taxiway. And finally other airports, such as the really small ones, don't have any ramp control and it is up to you to make sure you don't hit anything.

Fred Clausen, vZAB ATM

ZAB real life

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Note that Fred's talking about the real world. On VATSIM you very rarely see ramp/apron controllers, at least in the US. Normally pushback is at your discretion. You're responsible for not crashing into someone. Same goes for taxiing out of the alley.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC