You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Lord of the Landing...anybody use this?

Roger Curtiss

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

Does anyone use this FSX utility? It came out a few years ago developed by Dongjin Shin at the website planeman-fs.com and is a free utility that tracks approaches and landings to record vertical speed/flare distance/centerline deviation/airspeed/pitch/bank/heading and max V/S for the approach and landing.

It is a clever program and I have been using it for a long time. The website is no longer active and Shin did not respond to an email.

At any rate- one of the curious aspects of it is that after landing if you do an instant replay of the arrival (AFTER having disconnected from VATSIM of course) it will sometimes record a different vertical speed at landing than it did on the actual event. This does not happen every time so it is rather odd and I was wondering how/why it might do this.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

VP-Virtual Airlines & Special Ops

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
if you do an instant replay of the arrival (AFTER having disconnected from VATSIM of course) it will sometimes record a different vertical speed at landing than it did on the actual event. This does not happen every time so it is rather odd and I was wondering how/why it might do this.

My plausible guess would be... FSX doesn't store 100% of the data in replays and instead relies on interpolation of a lower fidelity dataset to closely (but sometimes/usually/never exactly) resemble the original.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

And, just anecdotally from my own observation so possibly not true -- but, it seemed to me like the the further back in time you start the saved replay, the further apart the data points are. This seemed particularly evident when landing and turning off the runway; a nice "sliding turn" to the middle of the taxiway is surely not what I originally performed! (Would've if I could've, LOL!)

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

Both responses make good sense...I knew sharper minds than mine would be able to offer some logical input.

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

VP-Virtual Airlines & Special Ops

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png