You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

feelthere Embraer 175/195 & vPilot

Hans-Werner Mertens 819470

Posted
Posted

We are a group of three members flying online on VATSIM network with flight simulators FSX SP2, FSX Acceleration and Prepar3Dv3. We all are using vPilot version 2.1.11. And we all have feelthere's Embraer 175/195 aircraft installed, bought direct @feelthere or @JustFlight.

Question 1: why are these models not "identified" within the "Advanced Model Matching" though they are listed?

Question 2: is vPilot able to display/inject models when others use the same(!) model name I also have on my local installation regardless of Prefixes or other parameters? What I mean is for example in real life Lufthansa Cityline and Air Dolomiti both are flying for Lufthansa Regional with a DLH-Prefix. For both airlines there are liveries avbl. and installed on all three user PCs. We tried to solve model matching with "custom rules" but do not succeed.

Any help strongly appreciated.

Thanks in advance .

Hans

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

That depends... which AI package(s) (e.g. WOAI, myTraffic, etc.) are you using to display the Embraer 175/195? Note, of course, that the fact that you have purchased and installed a flyable aircraft has nothing to do with you being able to see others; AI is (generally) used for that purpose.

Also, a lot has to do with what aircraft type you are logging in as. Not filing in your flight plan; that is irrelevant. It's the aircraft type you're logging in as that matters. All too often we have seen folks logging in with an incorrect aircraft type code, which almost always ensures you will not see models matched properly. Just as an example, if you accidentally logged on using an incorrect ICAO code of E175, it is highly likely that your friends would not see you as an E175, as E175 is not a valid ICAO aircraft identification code.

However, I am guessing that the key question in play is which AI packages for the E175/E195 for DLH, Lufthansa Cityline and/or Air Dolomiti do each of you have installed?

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Question 1: why are these models not "identified" within the "Advanced Model Matching" though they are listed?

For vPilot to identify a model, the model either has to exist in the model database that vPilot downloads from my web server, OR, the aircraft.cfg file must contain a valid ICAO type code in the atc_model line, AND a valid airline code in the atc_parking_codes line.

Since your Feel There Embraer is not being identified, neither of those things is true.

Question 2: is vPilot able to display/inject models when others use the same(!) model name I also have on my local installation regardless of Prefixes or other parameters?

No. When you connect, you tell the network what your callsign is (which may or may not contain a three character airline code prefix) and what aircraft type code you are flying. The actual aircraft you have loaded into the sim has nothing to do with this. It is entirely possible for you to load up the PMDG B744 and then connect as a C172, so others will see you as a C172.

In other words, the actual model name that you have loaded is not sent over the network, so there's no way for pilots nearby to know what actual model you are flying.

The reason for this is that you normally don't want to use actual flyable models to represent other aircraft. The flyable models, especially those from payware add-on aircraft, are very complex, visually, so having several of them on your screen at once can have a negative impact on frame rates. This is why you want to use AI traffic model packages ... they are much lighter weight and have little or no impact on frame rates, even with dozens of them loaded at once.

What I mean is for example in real life Lufthansa Cityline and Air Dolomiti both are flying for Lufthansa Regional with a DLH-Prefix. For both airlines there are liveries avbl. and installed on all three user PCs. We tried to solve model matching with "custom rules" but do not succeed.

Custom rules is the way to go here ... what specifically did you try?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Posted
Posted

Thanks for your answers Ross & Don and apologize for late response from my side.

Question 1:

I checked with 'atc_parking_codes' and indeed that solved the issue to identify the Embraer models in the Advanced Model Matching.

Question 2:

I am still not sure if vPilot is getting the ModelName from other network airplanes and matching this with local installed a/c to display the correct model.

I tried with the FSX default Cessna 172 SP Skyhawk and it seems that vPilot is matching a random selection of the avbl. paints instead of the choosen one.

I remember that FSInn did a sort of that, so when two FSInn pilot clients communicate over the network, matching was exact. Also within FSX multiplayer the Title (ModelName) is interchanged so you can display the model & livery of other network members if you have installed the same aircraft on your local PC.

Custom rules is the way to go here ... what specifically did you try?

I did some more testing and it seems on my side that Custom Model Matching for the feelthere EJets v2 is working quite ok now. My partners did not get to the same result as me, but we are happy now to "see" each other with Embraers 175 or 195.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Hans