You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Is FSX Steam (Used with Oculus Rift) and vPilot compatible?

Jon Sousan 1333142

Jon Sousan 1333142
Posted
Posted

I've never posted here for help but, could use a hand in locating the proper channels of instruction. I have successfully been using vPilot as ATC connection with (non Steam)FSX and then went to the virtual world using the Oculus Rift goggles which requires FSX Steam Edition. Though the FSXSE experience is amazing for flight, I'm not as impressed with the interactive ATC yet. I'd like to get back to the communication with live ATC if it is possible. That certainly, would make the experience as true to life as possible. Can anyone offer help with this?

Thanks

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Jon Sousan 1333142
Posted
Posted

OK more concise.

I was forced to upgrade to "FSX Steam" in order to use the Oculus Rift. Prior to this upgrade I was using FSX with three monitors in which I enjoyed the ATC with Vatsim using vPilot as the liaison. At that time all I had to do was double click vPilot icon after launching the FSX program, and it would come available for connect.

I don't see the option of being able to do this in the same way when I use the Oculus Rift VR system, unless I am missing something here. Is there a special installation or app that is available to place the vPilot information box within the cockpit when I am in the virtual world?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

OK, sounds like one may have to have Oculus Rift experience to help you with this question. Good luck.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Are you using FlyInside?

https://flyinside-fsx.com/

I believe it allows you to bring external programs (such as vPilot) into the cockpit while using a Rift. I haven't used it, so I'm not 100% sure it'll do the job.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Jon Sousan 1333142
Posted
Posted

Yes, I use Fly Inside. Is vPilot considered an addon? If so, is there an installation process? I thought that I had it licked but I don't see it in the add on menu when I view the drop down.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I don't know what you mean by add-on here ... my understanding is that FlyInside can pull any desktop window into the sim.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Jon Sousan 1333142
Posted
Posted

For those of you who are tracking this post, I did have some success in the "importing" of the vPilot box inside the cockpit. I overlooked the "import window" box that appears when you prompt the VR menu. Though this is a great discovery, it is still a bit on the development side I am sure. The imported windows still move around with the slightest adjustment of the goggles. Option to suspend or disabled such features are going to be needed in the future. That's my take.