You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unicom Idea

Anthony Michael 1396979

Anthony Michael 1396979
Posted
Posted

So, when people on Vatsim are just regularly chatting on 122.8 it annoys some people, I understand that it might ruin some realism in the sim. I came up with an awesome idea after me and a few others were having a nice conversation . We decided to move over to 122.9 and use it as a "chatroom". Could we maybe keep on using this for the so called "chatroom". It gives a chance for simmers to have nice conversations while flying and get to learn others in a very nice way, just like I got to know 2 very nice people and had a conversation that took up to a hour. Its awesome to be able to meet people like this that share your aviation interests.

I will be looking forward to seeing more people on the 122.9 (Mostly used in EU)

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

*Brace for impact*

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Anthony Michael 1396979
Posted
Posted
*Brace for impact*

Why so? We can still have enjoyable chats like this without filling up the Unicom with un needed information which many people dont like.

Anthony Michael 1396979
Posted
Posted
The best way could be a VATSIM Discord Server to support the need for communication of our members.

Hello, this is also a nice idea, however it is hard to get total strangers from Unicom that are chatting freely to join it. Its easier to make people going offtopic chat in 122.9. It ends up that you can have wonderful chats in there! But thank you for your positive opinion.

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

Are you using that as a second frequency or primary?

Trevor Hannant

Anthony Michael 1396979
Posted
Posted
Are you using that as a second frequency or primary?

Second VHF 2

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

When properly supported, advertised and "enforced"(=asking people to go to Discord when seeing them chatting on UNICOM), Discord really could be THE way to do business for VATSIM. At the Supervisor Department we just started using it (it is a closed channel, by invitation for SUPs only) and it is really nice and helpful to coordinate and ask questions.

Anthony Michael 1396979
Posted
Posted
When properly supported, advertised and "enforced"(=asking people to go to Discord when seeing them chatting on UNICOM), Discord really could be THE way to do business for VATSIM. At the Supervisor Department we just started using it (it is a closed channel, by invitation for SUPs only) and it is really nice and helpful to coordinate and ask questions.

Ah ok I see thank you for listening to my idea, is it possible to get invited into this discord? I like a place to chat with others in a nice manner.

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

No, unless you're a supervisor.

KntU2Cw.jpg

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Discord or similar is probably the long term solution, but as a suggestion: if you are going to use a discrete frequency, might I suggest 123.45? This is the generally accepted RW air-to-air frequency (not officially for 'chat', though that is often what happens) and as a result is unlikely to clash with any active ATC frequencies.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Anthony Michael 1396979
Posted
Posted
Discord or similar is probably the long term solution, but as a suggestion: if you are going to use a discrete frequency, might I suggest 123.45? This is the generally accepted RW air-to-air frequency (not officially for 'chat', though that is often what happens) and as a result is unlikely to clash with any active ATC frequencies.

Ah ok thank you

Anthony Michael 1396979
Posted
Posted

So to all admins on vatsim is it allowed to use 123.45 as air to air chat?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I'm not a VATSIM admin, but -- the only relevant thing I see in the Code of Conduct is B.6:

"Pilots should not carry on private conversations between themselves or controllers on the active communication frequency or on the "guard" frequency (121.50). This interferes with providing ATC services to other pilots. The guard frequency should only be utilized in cases of emergency and under no other circomestances."

As long as the conversation is not on 122.8 or any active ATC channel, it doesn't look like there's any firm rule against it.

And FWIW I don't know that the Guard channel is actively used or monitored on VATSIM anymore, but don't take my word for that.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

I don't know that the Guard channel is actively used or monitored on VATSIM anymore, but don't take my word for that.

It is still utilised.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Andre Almeida
Posted
Posted
if you are going to use a discrete frequency, might I suggest 123.45?

If you're going to suggest that, I must add that 123.450 should not be used for general conversation in every part of the globe. 123.450 is used as UNICOM frequency in Brazil.

Anthony Michael 1396979
Posted
Posted

Any ways if we could use 123.45 that will be great. What is it used for now on vatsim?

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

In most parts of the world it is not [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to anything else but Air-to-Air. There are regional exceptions like in Brazil and if I am not mistaken helicopter traffic to oil-platforms in Scandinavia/North Sea use 123.45 as well as an official means to communicate.