You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vatspy-no rivers or lakes show up

Barry Martin Edwards

Barry Martin Edwards
Posted
Posted

Hello all,can anyone help me how to produce the rivers and lakes in the Map Display on Vatspy,I have set the detail level to High in the general settings ,restarted Vatspy and nothing happens,what am I doing wrong? Thanks,benibaz.

guahSb1.jpg

Vatsim P1,P2

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm guessing it's a video driver problem with OpenGL. Can you post a screenshot?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Barry Martin Edwards
Posted
Posted

Hello Ross, this is the screenshot :Ph1EM2.jpg

guahSb1.jpg

Vatsim P1,P2

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yeah, best guess is that it's an opengl video driver issue where it's not rendering the polygons in the right order, causing the inland water polygons to be overwritten by the land polygons.

Barry Martin Edwards
Posted
Posted

Thank you Ross for your reply,so how do I go about resolving this issue?benibaz

guahSb1.jpg

Vatsim P1,P2

Barry Martin Edwards
Posted
Posted
Thank you Ross for your reply,so how do I go about resolving this issue?

I have two folders "OpenGl" on my computer but inside named "point cloud effects" and "simple cloud"that is all.benibaz

guahSb1.jpg

Vatsim P1,P2

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I don't know ... maybe try upgrading to the latest video driver. The openGL support is part of your graphics card video driver.

Again, this is just a guess as to what's happening. In the past, I have definitely seen where some video drivers behave differently in terms of the order in which "stacked" items like this are rendered.

Barry Martin Edwards
Posted
Posted

Hello Ross,I have updated my Nvidia GTX 770 driver to the latest update(391.35),and still the problem persists,I have even contacted the Nvidia support on chat,and followed his instructions,but still there is no change in the program Vatspy.Any other ideas?thanks.benibaz.

guahSb1.jpg

Vatsim P1,P2

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

No idea ... sorry ...

Barry Martin Edwards
Posted
Posted

Hello Ross,with all due respect,how can you as the developer of Vatspy,have no idea about your own program and how to resolve issues that occur within it?I would have expected some support from you on how to resolve this issue.Thanks.benibaz.

guahSb1.jpg

Vatsim P1,P2

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted
Hello Ross,with all due respect,how can you as the developer of Vatspy,have no idea about your own program and how to resolve issues that occur within it?I would have expected some support from you on how to resolve this issue.Thanks.benibaz.

Ross no longer develops VATSPY. I wouldn't expect him to remember the ins and outs. I think your issue is a limitation of the map that VATSPY uses. Because of the way the map is drawn, it is not going to show every single river and lake, after all, it isn't Google Maps. You will see that I see the exact same thing you see when I open VATSPY. If you aren't satisfied, then there are other alternate maps available, such as VATTASTIC, Accomeap and QuteScoop.

4PN0sI7DSTqIjuozZSEWAA.png

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Barry Martin Edwards
Posted
Posted

Hello Andrew,thank you for your information,as I have both Accomeap and Qutescope installed on my computer, I will use one of these but still occasionally monitor Vatspy for flights and controller details.benibaz.

guahSb1.jpg

Vatsim P1,P2

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I would have expected some support from you on how to resolve this issue.Thanks.benibaz.

What we have here is the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic mismatch between the level of support a user expects for free software where no promise of support was made, and the level of support the developer is willing to provide. Since there is no promise of support for VAT-Spy, and since I did make a suggestion to try to fix your issue, you actually received more support than was ever promised.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Ross no longer develops VATSPY.

That's not really accurate ... the fact that I haven't released any updates in a long time doesn't mean I won't. I'm actually planning to make an update that includes downloading of FIR boundary data from an official source, to keep the boundaries updated. That official source doesn't exist yet, but it is supposedly a work in progress.

I think your issue is a limitation of the map that VATSPY uses.

If he has the lakes and rivers detail level set to the highest level, he should see some inland water in the screenshot he posted. There is a lake just north of Glasgow, for instance.

You will see that I see the exact same thing you see when I open VATSPY.

Do you have the lakes and rivers details set to the max also? If so, you probably have the same OpenGL rendering issue. I have definitely seen in the past that some OpenGL driver implementations handle stacking of polygons differently. I've seen this with my ATC clients with the rendering of filled polygons in the video maps.

Barry Martin Edwards
Posted
Posted
I would have expected some support from you on how to resolve this issue.Thanks.benibaz.

What we have here is the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic mismatch between the level of support a user expects for free software where no promise of support was made, and the level of support the developer is willing to provide. Since there is no promise of support for VAT-Spy, and since I did make a suggestion to try to fix your issue, you actually received more support than was ever promised.

Hello Ross,I apologise for the fact that no support is promised for VAT-Spy,I take back what I have said.benibaz

guahSb1.jpg

Vatsim P1,P2