You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.
IMPORTANT: We will no longer promote events by VATSIM Divisions or vACC's posted in this forum. This section will transition to allow for publishing of unofficial events and groupflights. Contact your vACC director for event publishing access to myVATSIM. ×

[11MAY18 2300-0300Z] Friday Night Ops - Down Under

Callum Strawbridge

Callum Strawbridge
Posted
Posted (edited)

fnobanner.png

Ladies and Gentlemen, VATPAC and VATUSA are proud to present the latest VATUSA Friday Night Ops - Down Under!

We have something exciting, different and possibly even challenging in store for you. Did you know that VATPAC's airspace covers a large amount of the Pacific Islands? It even covers Papua New Guinea. This FNO, join us as VATPAC fully staffs Port Moresby - AYPY (The capital of P.N.G), Cairns - YBCS, Brisbane - YBBN and Hamilton Island - YBHM (Both in Queensland, Australia). This gives you the chance to experience Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] C and D airports as well as the chance to experience some absolutely stunning scenery.

Kicking off at 2300, you can choose where to depart or arrive from, what to fly and how hard our controllers will work. We recommend flying regional sized aircraft to Hamilton Island as it regularly sees the Q400, 717 and 738's, however, the choice is yours.

Airports: AYPY , YBBN, YBCS , YBHM

Time: [11/05/18] 2300 - 0300Z | [12/05/18] 0900-1300 AEST

You can find a full pilot briefing available including charts, local procedures and scenery at our website https://fno.vatpac.org

Edited by Guest

Callum Strawbridge

VATPAC Senior Instructor 

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

WOW WOW

Australian event at American time zone!! That is AWESOME

WOOOO WOOOOO WOOOOOO

Will not miss it!!!

Will use Australian DC-9s or 727s

Got to figure out what is nice flight.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

The event website says pilots log in to book flights. When I logged in to book flight, it took me to ATC time slot bookings. Please advise??

Thanks,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Callum Strawbridge
Posted
Posted
The event website says pilots log in to book flights. When I logged in to book flight, it took me to ATC time slot bookings. Please advise??

Thanks,

Aharon

Hi Aharon,

That one totally slipped past me. There is no need for pilots to book flights!

I hope to see you there

Callum Strawbridge

VATPAC Senior Instructor 

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Callum,

Not a problem!! And I look forward to rare Australian event held at rare American time zone!! Many thanks to you and VATPAC for offering Australian event at event time great convenient to pilots living in American time zone.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Nice. This just went on my personal calendar as well.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Flew in this AWESOME event filled with many planes!!

Apparently, there is some sort of defective in FSX default YBHM scenery. I was having a smooth and perfect approach to runway 14 on verge of making perfect touchdown but suddenly in front of "piano bars", FSX slammed my plane onto ground as if there was some kind of microburst pushing my plane down onto ground but we do know FSX does not produce microbursts.

Is there any fix in Aussie flight sim websites that correct FSX default YBHM runway 14's defect so that I can make some more trips to YBHM, please?

Thanks,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
I was having a smooth and perfect approach to runway 14 on verge of making perfect touchdown but suddenly in front of "piano bars", FSX slammed my plane onto ground as if there was some kind of microburst pushing my plane down onto ground but we do know FSX does not produce microbursts.

Is there any fix in Aussie flight sim websites that correct FSX default YBHM runway 14's defect so that I can make some more trips to YBHM, please?

Hmm. I flew using FSX (Acceleration, not Steam) into YBHM runway 14 using default scenery and did not experience this. My touchdown was nice and smooth. (I flew far from a perfect flight, mind you, but all errors leading up to landing were my own, LOL.)

You sure it wasn't a PICNIC error?

(problem in chair, not in computer?)

Anyway, this was a great idea and seemed to be pretty well-attended, and hopefully the won't be the last one like it -- not just in Australia, but elsewhere around the world! It gets me thinking about possibilities for reciprocation, too -- how can we plan some US events so they're convenient for Europeans or Asians/Australians, etcetera? Not an easy prospect, I know -- but probably good that we give it some thought, at least!

Nice work; thank you to all of the controllers I worked with from YBBN to YBHM!

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted
You sure it wasn't a PICNIC error?

(problem in chair, not in computer?)

Shalom Rob,

Nah My approach to runway 14 will impress you considering the fact you are official chief flight instructor of VATSTAR. Just above before paino bars about 100 ft above, the plane suddenly was slammed onto ground as if microbursts pushed the plane down or there was GIANT underground magnet below the beginning of runway pulling my plane down onto ground.

It also happens all the time to me for KBOS runway 27. Do not know why both YBHM rwy 14 and KBOS runway 27 have some sort of same defect. I get around KBOS runway 27's defective problem by landing in middle of runway instead of beginning of runway although I am sure you as well as all controllers would not recommend that but that strategy will NOT work for YBHM's MUCH shorter runway!

I am using FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
My approach to runway 14 will impress you considering the fact you are official chief flight instructor of VATSTAR.

Please. I fancy myself a decent teacher but never more than an average pilot

I wonder if it's some sort of invisible obstacle. I remember something similar happening when I was using FlightGear; there was a particular approach (I forget where now, this was between 8-11 years ago when I was flying with that software) in which planes were constantly smacking into something on short final that we couldn't see. Someone finally went through the scenery files and found an object placed there that I guess didn't have a visible definition but it was altering flight paths just before touchdown. I've never heard of anything like that in FSX but it isn't impossible. However, I didn't have any issues landing YBHM 14 myself. I too was quite low and tight over the numbers; there was an arrival not far behind me so I made sure to stick it down nice and early so I could get turned around and haul you-know-what out of his way.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted
CQwL8Nm.png