You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Headset and Speakers

Paul Burns 860197

Paul Burns 860197
Posted
Posted

I fly with vpilot and p3dv4.1 and Windows 10.

I bought a Logitech H600 wireless headset.

I want to use my computer speakers for the sim and my headset for vpilot.

I enabled my headset in vpilot \ Audio but all sounds only come through the computer speakers.

How do I set this up?

Thanks

Paul

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The setting in vpilot only determines which device that radio comms go to. To change the device that simulator sounds (engines, cockpit noises, etc) go to, you can either change your default audio device in Windows settings, or change it in the sim settings.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Paul Burns 860197
Posted
Posted

If it is possible to have all sounds from p3d come through the speakers and communication with ATC(Vatsim) come through my head set, how do I set that up in Windows 10 and/or p3d?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Did you see my reply? Give it a try.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

First, make sure your Windows sound driver recognizes the speakers and headset as separate devices. Some have options to send the same or separate audio streams to each.

Next, make sure P3D is set to use the speakers. Under Settings and Sound, you should have drop-down boxes for cockpit vs voice. In those boxes should be multiple sound playback devices, if the first step was successful. "Voice" there refers to the sim-generated ATIS and the narration in mission scenarios, not to vPilot.

Finally, open vPilot & follow the same general process, selecting the headset as playback device.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Paul Burns 860197
Posted
Posted

Ok, in p3dv4 in Options - Sound I have under Windows Sound Devices:

Primary Playback Device

Voice Playback Device

Voice Capture Device

The first two have 3 dropdowns: 1.Default Primary Playback Device 2. Speakers 3.DELLv3014

The Voice Capture Device has :1.Default Communications Capture Device 2. Microphone(Logi H600 Headset)

So what do I choose?

If I open Windows10 Control panel/Sound/Playback I have Speakers with a green checkmark and Headphones but no green checkmark and says not plugged in. They are wireless and the usb thing is plugged to the computer.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

From what you are describing, the headset is not being recognized by windows as a playback device. I don't know anything about it but I would suggest looking at whether the headset device driver is installed properly, and, whether said driver includes an interface which allows you to select that it should sent a separate audio stream than your speakers.

It could also be that your PCs sound card doesn't support separate audio streams. Some sound cards can do so and some cannot, FYI. My desktop PC can do this (I have FSX playing through my speakers and vPilot playing through my analog, 3.5mm-connected headset); my laptop (on which I have recently started controlling) cannot, so the ATC primary channel, ATC monitored channels, and TeamSpeak all come through the same speakers. (UGH.)

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png