You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What would be an appropiate callsing for private jet?

Miguel Pineiro 1389445

Miguel Pineiro 1389445
Posted
Posted

Hello.

I´m planning on simulating a private jet (736 or 737 BBJ) following my country national team during the world cup.

What would be an appropiate callsign and aircraft type supposing the plane was privately owned and not operated by a leasing company? I would like that it appearead to other people as a BBJ and not a default CRJ.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

How it appears to others depends on aircraft type moreso than callsign. Make sure you enter your chosen pilot client the correct ICAO code for the aircraft type you are flying.

As for callsign, if private, it would usually be the aircraft tail number. In the US, that's an N followed by numbers and letters; often three numbers then two letters, but sometimes it varies. In other countries there's a one- or two-letter country code followed by a hyphen, then three or four more letters making a total of five letters. I believe on VATSIM the preference is to omit the hyphen.

You may or may not appear in a proper private paint scheme to others. How you appear to them is based on the models and liveries they have installed on their computer. Their pilot client will make a choice of which to use based on your aircraft type and your callsign, but its choices are limited to what they have installed.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
How it appears to others depends on aircraft type moreso than callsign. Make sure you enter your chosen pilot client the correct ICAO code for the aircraft type you are flying.

As for callsign, if private, it would usually be the aircraft tail number. In the US, that's an N followed by numbers and letters; often three numbers then two letters, but sometimes it varies. In other countries there's a one- or two-letter country code followed by a hyphen, then three or four more letters making a total of five letters. I believe on VATSIM the preference is to omit the hyphen.

You may or may not appear in a proper private paint scheme to others. How you appear to them is based on the models and liveries they have installed on their computer. Their pilot client will make a choice of which to use based on your aircraft type and your callsign, but its choices are limited to what they have installed.

Also, you do not have to limit yourself to just the tail number that's "painted" on the livery on your plane. Since that tail number most likely will not be the same number that appears on your plane to others (again because others will see only models/liveries they have), you can make up whatever tail number you would like.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Miguel Pineiro 1389445
Posted
Posted

Also, you do not have to limit yourself to just the tail number that's "painted" on the livery on your plane. Since that tail number most likely will not be the same number that appears on your plane to others (again because others will see only models/liveries they have), you can make up whatever tail number you would like.

Thank you, I know the aircraft type is what influences what other people can see and that it depends on the AI packs that they have installed. So the callsign could be something like EC-WMP (so just the aircraft registration) in Europe.

But is the aircraft type different from say a cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic airliner which would for example be B737? I´ve seen BBJ´s while flying so i was just wondering if there´s an specific aircraft type for them, or if the client just [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igns the BBJ model if the callsign doesn´t match an existing livery for the type (instead of reverting to the default plane specified in the client).

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

What you might be seeing is the default airliner for when the other pilot is flying something that your client either didn't recognize or didn't have a suitable match for.

And yes, as far as I know, the ICAO would still be B737 whether that was internally configured as a private business jet or a commercial airliner. The aircraft ICAO is more about signaling ATC about performance characteristics than about the seating arrangement inside. (I'm sure there are some exceptions & other odd cases.)

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Hi Miguel,

https://www.icao.int/publications/DOC8643/Pages/Search.aspx

There are in fact a multitude of BBJ variants, as it’s a product line like AMG.

They all default to their base model, eg a 737-700 BBJ is B737, a 737-900 BBJ is B739.

I am usually wrong, however I think there is no way to force others to see you as a specific model.

What you see others as is another issue. I still love FSInn as I can set the model matching, and even change individuals to anything I want. It is still available and still stable.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Miguel Pineiro 1389445
Posted
Posted
What you might be seeing is the default airliner for when the other pilot is flying something that your client either didn't recognize or didn't have a suitable match for.

And yes, as far as I know, the ICAO would still be B737 whether that was internally configured as a private business jet or a commercial airliner. The aircraft ICAO is more about signaling ATC about performance characteristics than about the seating arrangement inside. (I'm sure there are some exceptions & other odd cases.)

Hi Miguel,

https://www.icao.int/publications/DOC8643/Pages/Search.aspx

There are in fact a multitude of BBJ variants, as it’s a product line like AMG.

They all default to their base model, eg a 737-700 BBJ is B737, a 737-900 BBJ is B739.

I am usually wrong, however I think there is no way to force others to see you as a specific model.

What you see others as is another issue. I still love FSInn as I can set the model matching, and even change individuals to anything I want. It is still available and still stable.

Thank you for the replies guys, you have solved my doubts!