You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Do we know our Network?

Sean Harrison

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Given the popular post on what would we change on the network, I started thinking do we know the network? I’m hoping maybe IT can pull the data, that can give us a factual picture. As has been stated elsewhere these forums are visited by a very small percentage of the network users, so although we see some good comments, does it reflect the majority? If we want to change, then I firmly believe that you need a plan and that plan needs to be developed after defining where we are now, and where we want to get to, which shows what needs changing.

Some questions; I think; would be good to know facts about;

1. What is the picture with pilot clients? Is it 75% of connection are using vPilot.........

2. What is the picture with ATC clients? Is VRC used more than ES.........

3. How many members have signed up for a pilot rating course?

4. How many members completed a pilot rating?

5. How many calls for SUP (using Wallop) don’t get a response?

6. What are the spread of connection times by clients?

7. How many of each controller level exist? How often do they connect and for how long?

8. Where has there been a spike in activity on the network?

These could go on, and obviously supply a snapshot, so change is also sought. So it could be answered on a yearly basis.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted
4. How many members completed a pilot rating?

https://ptd.vatsim.net/statistics should answer this one! Each ATO is also required to provide individual statistics so they will know how many have signed up but not completed.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

Some great questions Sean, especially as you know how much of a stats man I am. I will make some enquiries about how much of this can be obtained easily and whether we can create a dashboard (I love dashboards) of this information on a regular basis.

The one stat that might be impossible to get from your list is unanswered wallops but who knows what the future might bring.

I will take this to the BoG. Thanks for the suggestion. No promise on a timeframe.

Mark

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mark.

It was more of a rhetorical question, in the vein that it would maybe stimulate the process based on facts. Perhaps this is already available and in use as a mechanism for change or otherwise.

I didn’t want to discuss on the other post to hide the requests.....

Again thanks for the response, if the above helps at all, then i’m happy.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

I think a dashboard is a good idea but will depend on the Tech Team's availability and to-do list.

I have added this to the BoG's planning tool for consideration.

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Thanks. Great questions/stats. I like data and dashboards too!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations