You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Cleared for the XXX departure... I made a mistake.

Craig Lister 1213875

Craig Lister 1213875
Posted
Posted

(New guys here - 5 flights and a week into VATSIM)

I was parked at a gate at an airport, and requested clearance as filed.

Reply was, 'Cleared for the XXX departure as filed, RW 01, climb to 4000 and ...'.

(My mistake happens now)

I took the clearance as, I'm cleared to depart. I thought, that's strange. I haven't even pushed back. But maybe because the airport was quiet.. only me, and no aircraft within 200nm, the controller was just saying, 'Go for it, and climb to 4000'. So I pushed back, taxied to RW 01, and thought, 'Mmm.. this is strange... I feel like I need to report stuff..'. But as I'm new, wasn't sure how.

So, I held at the holding point before entering 01, and reported, 'Airport control, my calls sign, at holding point RW01 ... just want to confirm that I am cleared to take off'. The ATC came back with, 'mate, I haven't even given you permission to push back! Anyway, cleared take off, rw01... etc etc'.

I felt pretty bad. I'd screwed up. And felt rather embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed. I think where it all went wrong was 'Cleared for the XXX departure as filed, RW 01, climb to 4000'. To me, that sounds like I am cleared to go to 4000 on the departure. I live and learn, and appologised for the error.

I'll try not do that again! Pity the controller didn't point out my error earlier. I'd have (maybe) felt less stupid.

Cody Cochran
Posted
Posted

I'm not to familiar with European ATC but from what you've said I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you where flying somewhere in that region. When they issue that initial clearance, its just telling you the departure procedure and runway to expect and initial climb out. Once you set all that up in the FMC, you request push clearance, then taxi, then takeoff. A squawk will be issued somewhere around in there but i'm not sure when.

Hope this helps.

Cody Cochran

VATSIM Supervisor

c.cochran[at]vatsim.net

Craig Lister 1213875
Posted
Posted

Ah excellent. Thanks. Yeah, well this is Australia so I think it’s European ways.

Ok so file, request clearance, do setup and then pushback and all that. Got it. Thanks.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Rule of thumb: at a controlled airport the only wording that will allow you to actually takeoff is the word "takeoff": "runway XX, cleared for takeoff". This word is reserved exclusively for this phase of flight. "Departure" is used for all other phases of flight when pilots or ATC want to issue any information regarding "takeoff": "expect departure at time XY", "airport of departure", "cleared to destination via ABCDE12G departure, climb altitude/flightlevel XYZ, squawk 1234" (an IFR-clearance may look different in another country).

Didn't you learn this on Craig's List?

Antony Radley
Posted
Posted

As a kiwi, can confirm aussies are angry

Oakland ARTCC Events Coordinator - S-3

oakartcc.org

Kieran Samuel Cross
Posted
Posted
I thought Aussies share their bedrooms with their sheep and goats?

I thought sharing your bedroom with a sheep was a Welsh tradition!

Kind Regards,

Kieran Cross,

28.png