You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Flight strips for departures not automatically added?

Jordan Sabot

Jordan Sabot
Posted
Posted

Working TWR when a plane files a flight plan on the ground, their strip does not show up until i either [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a squawk code or amend their flight plan, i have the setting in the settings configured to auto add departure strips and also have seperators with the departure airport set up correctly. Could this be a bug with vSTARS? BTW i'm using beta 1.1.7

Jordan Sabot
Posted
Posted

Any ideas? Is there something in our facility file that could be causing this problem or is this something in vSTARS? It would be nice to be able to get the strips pop up in the flight strip bay when a plan is filed.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

There are two checkboxes in the settings for automatically adding departure strips ... one is for the facility's primary airport, and the other is for secondary (satellite) airports. Do you have the correct one checked (or both)?

The other criteria is that the aircraft must be within 3.0 NM of the location of the airport as defined in the Airports.xml file. (This is so that strips are not automatically added if the aircraft files in the air after having already departed.) Is the airport in question perhaps large enough that the aircraft is more than 3.0 NM from the center of the airport?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Jordan Sabot
Posted
Posted

Checked the lat lon in the airports XML file, the planes re not more than 3 miles from there, but would the elevation matter at all? It is correct but if planes are on other scenery I'm wondering if that matters. Also. Yes both boxes are checked. But I thought of something, what defines a primary airport in the config files? How does it know? Also tried adding a separator with the departure airport but that didn'work either.

Jordan Sabot
Posted
Posted

Ok looks like I fixed the problem, the planes were showing altitudes higher than the elevation set in the airports XML file so i just turned up the elevation and problem solved! Thanks Ross

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Did you change anything else? I just reviewed the code and the elevation doesn't actually matter, but maybe I missed something.

The primary airport is defined by [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning it to Tower List 1 in the Airports tab of the facility configuration window.

Jordan Sabot
Posted
Posted

I'll try again when I get home and let you know

Jordan Sabot
Posted
Posted

Ok so it appears it is still not working as i wanted it to, maybe you can get a better insight or take a look your self if i send you our facility files here? https://minniecenter.org/uploads/M98%20vSTARS.zip

there are 2 facilities in that ZIP file, neither of them work with both auto add options set in the settings and the facility window also is set up under airports KMSP is showing tower list 1. Not sure what could be causing the issue.

EDIT: If it matters, when the pilot files the plan the second time, it then sends me the strip

just tested this at another facility as OBS and it did not add a strip for me..

I see these lines in the changelog for the vstars beta, is it possible maybe you mistakenly coded it so that it wouldn't add a strip under a condition that could be present under certain circomestances? honestly don't know much about coding but I'm just thinking outside the box

- 0002044: Don't auto-add flight strips for departures that aren't on the ground at the airport.

- 0002043: Don't add a flight strip when a flight plan was manually requested

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I looked at the code changes that occurred for those items your referenced in the changelog, and the only thing relevant here that changed is that the aircraft needs to be "on the ground" at the airport. Since the VATSIM network protocol doesn't have a way of transmitting whether or not the aircraft is actually on the ground, I instead use a speed threshold. If the aircraft is moving less than 40 knots, and it is within 3 NM of the center point of the airport, it is considered to be on the ground.

I'll take a look at the facility files to see if anything jumps out at me, but it sounds like you have everything set up right.

Jordan Sabot
Posted
Posted

Well it is very odd that when the planes file their plan twice, that they show up. another thing i notices was that i am receiving strips for the arrival, just not guys on the ground.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Looks like this is a timing issue. I've added a bug report to the list to fix it at some point. Here's the description I wrote for the bug in case you're curious:

"This appears to be a timing issue. One of the criteria for auto-adding a departure strip is that the aircraft must be within 3NM of the airport. However, the distance from the airport is not calculated until the next position update after the aircraft's flight plan has been received, and the check to auto-add the flight strip happens when the flight plan is received, so the distance hasn't been calculated yet. Need to calculate the distance upon receiving the flight plan."

Jordan Sabot
Posted
Posted

Great, glad i was able to help figure out a bug!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yeah, thanks for the bug report. I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet ... I guess not a lot of people are using the beta AND using automatic departure strips.

• 1 year later...
Jordan Sabot
Posted
Posted

Has this been fixed yet ross?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Nope.

Jordan Sabot
Posted
Posted

will it ever be? 

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Jordan Sabot said:

will it ever be? 

Don't know. I don't have any plans to work on vSTARS at the moment. That doesn't mean I never will, though.

• 1 year later...
Taylor Darland
Posted
Posted

im also experiencing this at atl and ewr. but not at clt.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Ross is building a new radar client that will supersede VRC, vSTARS, and vERAM -- so until then you just have to watch for planes to spawn in or wait until they call for clearance.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png