You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Voice messaging goes silent

Matthew Haywood 1432871

Matthew Haywood 1432871
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone!

I'm using XSquawkbox on X-Plane 11 and still new to Vatsim. On every flight I've done now I've noticed that after a short while being tuned in to a radio frequency that I stop hearing transmissions. Basically, everything goes silent and I can't hear ATC or other pilots. This has meant I have missed transmissions, had supervisors get on my case, and ATC has even gotten angry with me once or twice.

I find if I switch to a different frequency and then back to the previous one that can help. However, it's difficult to know when the problem begins, whether I've lost contact or the channel is just being quiet for a bit.

Does anybody know what's going on or how to fix it? Thanks!

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Matthew and welcome to VATSIM!

Regarding your voice problems you should have a look here: XSquawkBox - voice timing out

Also make sure you read this: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=77060

The most important there is to install this "Message Sound" plugin, veeeeeeeeeery important!

• 3 weeks later...
Matthew Haywood 1432871
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your reply, sorry I'm so slow in getting back to you!

If it's a port forwarding issue, I guess there is not much I can do about it....seeing as I'm living on a university campus and using their wifi. I'm not very tech savvy, so am I right in thinking there's not much I can do about that?

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Well, you could try asking your university tech team to forward the mentioned ports to your IP address. Who knows, maybe they do it .

Me.