You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

new to vatsim

Colin Dennison 1264921

Colin Dennison 1264921
Posted
Posted

Hi not sure if this is the right place to ask this. If nobody is online do you have to fill in the text box in the messages box for clearance.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Hi Colin, and welcome to VATSIM! No, if there is no ATC online, you do not request or receive clearance. You are required to monitor Unicom (122.800 in most places in the world) and are encouraged to state your intentions at key phases of flight when there are others around you (e.g., KBOS traffic, DAL123 turning 15 mile final, Runway 27 (and feel free to abbreviate!)). It is certainly helpful for you (and I encourage you) to file a flight plan, though not specifically required.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Colin Dennison 1264921
Posted
Posted

Thank you that is very helpful

Eddy Ruythooren 1373964
Posted
Posted

Hello , as newbie I con not figure out this problem

I fly only the LANCAIR Legacy LEG2 VFR but my aircraft simbol = MEDIUM ?

Is there a setting for SMALL , so endeed ATC knows that VFR SMALL is appaoching

Thanks

Eddy

0.png

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

What do you mean by aircraft symbol? What are you looking at? If you file the type correctly, ATC will know how light you are.

KntU2Cw.jpg

Eddy Ruythooren 1373964
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dace for helping me in this prop

Online My Lancair Legasy seems MEDIUM but the plane Is for sure SMALL the type = ICAO code LEG2

It apears as medium[img https://i.postimg.cc/Pfm4YgHZ/Naamloos.jpg[/img]

0.png

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

Sorry, I still don't understand from the tiny image what program you're using and what is wrong.

KntU2Cw.jpg

Eddy Ruythooren 1373964
Posted
Posted

Indeed this was not a good image that I used but the fact is I am Flying GA SMALL and not MEDIUM as seen online

I was asking ATC this morning about this( EBBU_CRT) and Ok HE accepted me as GA-small VFR dispite he see my aircraft as medium too

Maybe it is a wrong setting from my part, we will see,I did some google and find 1 online pilot with the same prop with LEG2

I am standby Grts Eddy

0.png

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

The aircraft type code (LEG2) is sufficient for ATC to know what kind of airplane it is. Then after the slash you have to put your navigation equipment code. Maybe that's what you mean?

KntU2Cw.jpg

Eddy Ruythooren 1373964
Posted
Posted

Hello Dave, thats fully corrext, the fact that there is no prop for ATCs-side means all is fine from my side too

as info; Equipment suffix = G

Maybe we will meat online 1 day , my callsign is OOALE for GA ,WTG178 for mil planes as A2A spitfire and P51

THANKS my friend for the help Grts Eddy

0.png

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted
Hello , as newbie I con not figure out this problem

I fly only the LANCAIR Legacy LEG2 VFR but my aircraft simbol = MEDIUM ?

Is there a setting for SMALL , so endeed ATC knows that VFR SMALL is appaoching

Thanks

Eddy

What program shows your aircraft as a symbol? It certainly isn't the ATC software. If you mean the GPS system on the Lancair Legacy, that's an option in the GPS system itself if you are using the Flight1 GTN650/750, but one which has no effect on what anyone on vatsim other than you can see.

If it's one of our online trackers like vattastic, servinfo or accomeap, then some of those systems don't know every ICAO type code, so will default to some happy medium if it doesn't know. Air Traffic Controllers do not use any of these trackers to determine your flight plan, aircraft type or location, but instead use a Radar client which more closely resembles the real world radar systems in use for that control area.

If you file your Aircraft as a LEG2/G ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming it's GPS equipped), and have a true airspeed that reflects the speed you will be flying when in cruise, then that should really be enough. (Unfortunately not all our controllers will be familiar with what a LEG2 is, so if they ask you what kind of aircraft you are flying, it's a 2 seat single engine light sport piston prop)

Here's an example of one of our radar clients being used in Australia (Euroscope with TAAATS mod)

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

• 4 weeks later...
Eddy Ruythooren 1373964
Posted
Posted

Trent, I see this post just right now so sorry for the late answer mate

As i mentioned before I only fly LEG2 VFR ( Lancair Legacy) , due to an unexpected fact I have APRAXIE now and I am unable to make a model-matching rule for the LEG2 myself

I use VATSIM-FSMAP to check for traffic / and use this as TCAS

But indeed I find this a strange situation , my GA small is pictured in the FSmap as Medium and from time to time there are troubles/ VFRcircuits with multiple planes

Can one create a model-matching rule for the LEG2 for me, that would be great as I will continue VATSIM- flying

Grts Eddy

0.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Eddy, a model matching rule specifies how you see OTHER aircraft when you are using vPilot. It has nothing to do with how others see you. I think you are saying that some program called FSMAP is displaying you as something other than a light aircraft. Since FSMAP is not developed or published by VATSIM, you may want to contact the developers of FSMAP with your concerns/suggestions.

Don Desfosse

Eddy Ruythooren 1373964
Posted
Posted

Trent and Don thank for the help, I think indeed the wrong way I still supose ,

Using Fsmap on my externe tablet as Tcas gives me a picture off the traffic in my close range

this is for me the fast way to check if outher traffic is inbound the VFR-circuit

Being seen for outher pilots as Small is in my eyes more important than the fact that my aircraft is not accepted in the database so far

Using the MTL C182 will change the online image so I will be visual for ALL as Small GA

The fact that I will use the wrong MTL is no factor for ATC I supose

Anyway I will use your advice mates

Grts Eddy

0.png

Eddy Ruythooren 1373964
Posted
Posted

Update, He friends thanks to all off you for helping me out of this

I will indeed use the corect plane LEG2 so I will be visual at the apron as lancairLegacy/ Is this correct?

But as I am no longer able to multitask I am forced to stay in my cockpit to fly as good as possible

As VATSPY is not working on my tablet I use FSmap to have a good sight on the traffic and use the tablet as/screen2

btw having apraxie from time to time I can do realy stupid actions and I can not reset myself after

so far Great Thanks to ATC requesting vectors in case off troubles works fine and I plan to continue my hobby dispite my handicap

Grts Eddy

0.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Yes, Eddy, you should use your correct aircraft type. Good luck.

Don Desfosse

Eddy Ruythooren 1373964
Posted
Posted

Don it took time but I get the picture at least

Thanks Eddy

0.png