You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.
IMPORTANT: We will no longer promote events by VATSIM Divisions or vACC's posted in this forum. This section will transition to allow for publishing of unofficial events and groupflights. Contact your vACC director for event publishing access to myVATSIM. ×

[Oct 27 10-23z] Cross The Pond Eastbound 2018

Gunnar Lindahl

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

The web team have written up an explanation of what happened on Saturday, for those who struggled to access the bookings website when they opened. You can read it here.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zachary Jaglo 1322646

• Gunnar Lindahl

• Juan Perez

• Nestor Perez

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zachary Jaglo 1322646

Zachary Jaglo 1322646 7 posts

• Gunnar Lindahl

Gunnar Lindahl 6 posts

• Juan Perez

Juan Perez 5 posts

• Nestor Perez

Nestor Perez 5 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 20 2018

29 posts

• Oct 27 2018

21 posts

• Oct 26 2018

10 posts

• Oct 28 2018

8 posts

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted
...And we eagerly watched the site come to life. Within five minutes, 51 Percent of all slots had been booked. It was a fantastic feeling for my team - To watch weeks of hard work come to fruition.

However, shortly after, we began to see something strange across the fleet of servers that run VATSIM’s Web Services. A system that we have been running for years that manages our Single Sign-On service had started to malfunction. The load on the SSO system was just too high...

Understood everything up to this point, then it all became "gibberish" to this computer-challenged old guy. But I appreciate the explanation Matthew and his team put together to ease the minds of those who did understand it. Myself, I thought the VATSIM site required the use of English as the primary forum language...

(MySQL)...separate queue and cache (Redis) server...VLAN...complimented by AWS S3 storage and Pusher for WebSocket functionality...All of this sits behind CloudFlare Argo

Might as well be Latin to me...

This, however, I did understand...

SSO is an old and antiquated system. It works and performs admirably well for the vast majority of our use-cases. Without it, VATSIM would be stuck in a web-based stone age.

However, today we learned that this system does not perform well under load. Especially, record-breaking loads.

Please correct me if I am wrong...and I am frequently wrong...but hasn't the CTP website used SSO for login for many past CTP Events. I am almost sure that at least for the last two I used SSO to log in to the old CTP site. Those were times of high loads as well and I don't think anyone had the trouble they had this past Saturday. The explanation would have made more sense to me if it had said...

"SSO has worked well enough in the past during peak loads to the CTP site, but did not play well with the new CTP site."

Maybe that is what Matthews explanation does say...don't know, but if SSO is "old and antiquated" after only 4 years I imagine my computer is too with a "birth" in 2014 and me, personally, I must be "ancient" at 65...

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted
Please correct me if I am wrong...and I am frequently wrong...but hasn't the CTP website used SSO for login for many past CTP Events. I am almost sure that at least for the last two I used SSO to log in to the old CTP site. Those were times of high loads as well and I don't think anyone had the trouble they had this past Saturday.

Randy, from what I understand, up until now, it was the CTP web server that had problems when too many people accessed it at once. This year, that server was worked on, and it paid off: the CTP website was online the whole time! BUT a completely new problem arised... everyone was now able to get into the website and in order to book a slot, they had to log in using VATSIM SSO. This service is hosted in a different server than the actual CTP website, and earlier there had been no cases in which so many people tried accessing it at once (again, until now the website crashed as soon as it had some workload, so people did not have the opportunity to even access the login page).

And that's the main difference, but as with everything in the programming world, you repair something and once that's solved, a new issue appears.

Hope I explained myself well.

Have I done any mistake, feel free to correct me.

Me.

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted

Hi Randy,

To put it into easier-to-understand words, the CTP site performed brilliantly with the load it was under, mostly due to a brand new server system that allowed the load to be spread across two servers instead of one. The SSO system has never been under this much stress before, even during past CTPs, and as Matt said, when the SSO started to malfunction, so did a number of other crucial services. Technology advances lightening quick in this day and age, so this '4-year-old software' (the SSO system) can be considered as "old and antiquated", as there are now much better alternatives to the system in use now.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Got it now thanks to both of your explanations.

As a backyard mechanic who learned most of what I know from my father, I have never really considered anything I touched "fixed" until something else "breaks"

Looks like the CTP Website is "fixed"...

Thanks again for the "lay" explanation.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Juan Perez
Posted
Posted

Finally a take a good luck and encountered an available book in the CTP site. CYYZ-EDDF

I have a doubt, any formulary for select a SELCAL?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Yarden Ben-Dor 880990
Posted
Posted

Just a little question here, I've booked a flight SWR555 from KBOS to LSZH with a TOT slot of 1246Z. However I have yet to receive any confirmation e-mail nor can see my booking under "booking" section in the event page.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

There's no confirmation email this year.

Check out on the "Pilot Dashboard" section.

Me.

Yarden Ben-Dor 880990
Posted
Posted
There's no confirmation email this year.

Check out on the "Pilot Dashboard" section.

Strange, I see there "No booking reserved".

Morgan Chu 1381616
Posted
Posted

Do we need a selcal?

Marcos Storchevoy
Posted
Posted

Hi, I noticed that on the new CTP website, instead of TOT, it simply says departure time. Is this the time I'm supposed to takeoff, or the time I pushback from the gate?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

SELCAL - only if you want to fly across the pond.

Departure normally means takeoff. However, ensure you consult the airfield briefing for local instructions.

Don Desfosse

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
Do we need a selcal?

Yes, PLEASE!

If you are not sure how to create a valid SELCAL code, have a look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SELCAL

Or simply go to https://rzjets.net/aircraft/index.php and have a look for your airline and type of aircraft that you are flying and select a real SELCAL. Maybe you don't want to choose the first one on top, because 10 other pilots will do the same and then 10 pilots will get notified when we send out a SELCAL-signal. I guess you get what I mean.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Maybe you don't want to choose the first one on top, because 10 other pilots will do the same and then 10 pilots will get notified when we send out a SELCAL-signal.

That's karma getting them back for being lazy!

Don Desfosse

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

IMPORTANT POST #1

This is the first of two important posts for all pilots with or without slots. The second post, which will contain routings for non-event pilots and other last-minute information, will be posted sometime overnight, once the routes meeting has been completed. The meeting kicks off at 22z tonight and involves all facilities involved in the event.

1. All departure and arrival pilot briefings are now available to view on the CTP website. Simply head to the Pilot Dashboard, select "Airfield Docomeents" and choose the field(s) you need. We recommend printing these off or keeping them to hand. They are essential reading.

2. There will be NO EMAILED ROUTES SENT, as they have been in the past. This is to save us time on logistics. You will need to LOG IN to the CTP website in the morning to receive your route - they will appear sometime overnight as usual and we will advise when they have been populated. If you do not receive your route by 07z, please raise it with us.

3. The translatlantic radio ops checklist is available here.

More to follow...

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
VATSIM Logo

Philip McNiel 1282687
Posted
Posted

I've got a comment and a question.

First, the comment: It looks as though EDDH is having an overload event during CTP. This provides a neat opportunity: An additional arrival airport for those who didn't get a slot and/or just want to fly to a different airport this year!

Now for the question: The time window for CTP departures has been posted, but what is roughly the time window for arrivals at CTP airports?

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

The routes meeting has started...

Dqd2j0FWsAM0_zS.jpg:large

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
VATSIM Logo

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted

Regarding SELCAL Codes - Pilots will be [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned with their codes this year. Please keep an eye on your booking page for your [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned SELCAL code.

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

DqevHRsWsAA38Ut.jpg:large

IMPORTANT PRE-EVENT INFORMATION #2

The team have been working hard in the early hours of this morning to finalise all routing information and inputting this into the website. Be sure to follow the dedicated Cross The Pond Twitter feed where we will announce any last-minute important information. We'd also love to see your screenshots, videos and live streams!

First of all, a reminder of the important information posted earlier this evening:

1. All departure and arrival pilot briefings are now available to view on the CTP website. Simply head to the Pilot Dashboard, select "Airfield Docomeents" and choose the field(s) you need. We recommend printing these off or keeping them to hand. They are essential reading.

2. The translatlantic radio ops checklist is available here.

IF YOU HAVE A SLOT...

Your flight information is now available on the Cross The Pond website. Simply log in and click 'Pilot Dashboard'. THERE WILL BE NO EMAILED ROUTES. On the page containing your callsign, flight level, [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned route and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned SELCAL, you can select 'Prefile' at the bottom which will redirect you to a pre-populated flight plan (you still need to enter aircraft type etc).

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A SLOT...

The available routings for the event have been optimised for minimum 'h[Mod - Happy Thoughts]le' before, during and after the Oceanic segment. It is therefore ESSENTIAL that you file the following routings, if you you do not have a slot:

#1 There are TWO non-event NAT tracks in use:

NAT U: ALLRY 51/50 54/40 55/30 55/20 RESNO NETKI

NAT W: ELSIR 50/50 53/40 54/30 54/20 DOGAL BEXET

How do I get to/from these NAT tracks?!

IMPORTANT: do NOT follow these instructions if you have a slot. See the instructions above. This information is for pilots without a slot ONLY.

Please select a NAT (#1) you wish to use (check your arrival field has a choice of NAT U or W below, first!), then collect your entry route (#2) and your exit route (#3). Your filed flightplan should be #2 (entry route to NAT), followed by #1 (NAT), followed by #3 (exit route from NAT).

#2 Entering the NAT

To get from Toronto (CYYZ) to NAT U : DEDKI4 DEDKI DCT ALLEX N379A ALLRY

To get from Washington Dulles (KIAD) to NAT U : JERES2 JERES J227 KONJE J190 ALB ENE ALLEX N379A ALLRY

To get from New York JFK (KJFK) to NAT U : GREKI JUDDS MARTN ENE ALLEX N379A ALLRY

To get from Boston Logan (KBOS) to NAT U : LBSTA5 LBSTA ALLEX N379A ALLRY

To get from Washington Dulles (KIAD) to NAT W : JERES2 JERES J227 KONJE J190 RKA DCT BOS DCT BRADD N319A ELSIR

To get from New York JFK (KJFK) to NAT W : MERIT DCT HFD DCT PUT DCT BOS DCT BRADD N319A ELSIR

To get from Boston Logan (KBOS) to NAT W : CELTK5 CELTK FRILL BRADD N319A ELSIR

#3 Exiting the NAT

To get to London Heathrow (EGLL) from NAT U : NETKI DCT SLANY UL9 STU UP2 BEDEK OCK2F

To get to London Gatwick (EGKK) from NAT U : NETKI DCT NORLA UM140 MERLY L149 DIDEL N513 ELRIP N17 OTMET OTMET1G

To get to Manchester (EGCC) from NAT U : NETKI DCT LIFFY UL975 MALUD MIRS2B

To get to Amsterdam Schiphol (EHAM) from NAT U : NETKI DCT LIFFY UL975 WAL M16 DOLAS L603 LAMSO LAMS2A

To get to Zurich (LSZH) from NAT U or W : Route via KONAN/XAMAB

To get to London Heathrow (EGLL) from NAT W : BEXET DCT MOPAT P73 DAWLY N17 OTMET OTMET1H

To get to London Gatwick (EGKK) from NAT W : BEXET DCT MOPAT P73 DAWLY N17 OTMET OTMET1G

If your departure/arrival field does not have a preferred routing above, please use appropriate flightplanning tools to plan your flight, ensuring that you use NAT U or W, the non-event tracks.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
VATSIM Logo

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted

Great! 3 hrs till takeoff. Let's plan my flight

By the way, what should I do if my sim crashes?

spacer.png

New and want some help? Send me a message on Discord at GoodCrossing#4907!

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

By the way, what should I do if my sim crashes?

If it's enroute, I like to try to adjust my spawn, so that I arrive over my next waypoint at the same minute as my estimated time. by slewing or similar, till it's about right, before connecting.

If it's radar airspace, good luck.

If it's below about 20,000ft, forget it. Start over again, or Fly a domestic flight in Europe.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted

Well I guess I'll cross my fingers. I flew yesterday an EGCC-EGKK and CTDed on final. No freezing, no anything, literally was working fine 1 sec and I was seeing my desktop the next.

spacer.png

New and want some help? Send me a message on Discord at GoodCrossing#4907!

Pedro Dias 1148495
Posted
Posted

Less than one hour!!

Preparing flight LH471P CYYZ-EDDF TOT 14:03z

Guys, be ready for bad weather at New York and Boston!

Good luck to you all! See you in Europe!