You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

TRACON TRAINING PROGRAM

Jason Helkenberg 913355

Jason Helkenberg 913355
Posted
Posted

Would anyone be willing to help me develop a training program used in vSTARS for TRACON training?

Jason

Jason Helkenberg

Krikor Hajian
Posted
Posted

Jason,

While I'm not a developer, I am curious what you have in mind for this program. Currently, ZBW is using Euroscope to run TRACON sessions, and while it's far from perfect it allows us to input routes, simulates ground speeds, and we can program an altitude restriction so it's descend-via-ish. Is the idea for a program that runs through vSTARS (such as the real TRACON training system they use), or something new similar to Euroscope? What sort of features are you trying to implement that we don't have in current training solutions?

Logo.png

Krikor Hajian (HI) - 1283146

Deputy Air Traffic Manager | Instructor

[email protected]

VATUSA ACE Team Member | VATSIM Supervisor

- - - - - - - - - -

BVA is on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube!

Jason Helkenberg 913355
Posted
Posted

I use the real world sweatbox on a daily basis at D10 and i'd like to develop a program that resembles it. It uses STARS and a Target Generator key to input the command into the program. It would need to be made so that it can be mortified for different TRACONs (runways, approaches) ect. then facility engineers can create/modify the information and then create the scenarios.

in the real world its very simple to use. for example.

each airport has a letter to identify it. DFW is 0, DAL is D, Addison is Z, Alliance is A. heading is H, altitude is A and speed is V.

if i wanted American 1342 to fly heading 150, decend and maintain 3k till established on the loc and was cleared for the ils, i would enter this into STARS using the TGT key.

TGT42H150A030P018R

42 is last two of the call sign which means you cant have two aircraft with the same last two numbers.

the P is the (procedure) command. its used to tell the aircraft to proceed to/ cleared/fly to/ or do some sort of procedure.

on departures. the aircraft are designed to depart at certain times. once tagged, the controller cleared them to the boundary fix and resume own nav climbing to 17k and increasing speed to 280kts or better. so we enter this.

TGT42H270A170V300PPTGR

The V tells the aircraft to fly 300kts indicated airspeed. the PP is a proceed to and fly the SID/STAR at TIGGER intersection. if only 1 P, its just a fly direct to and then fly current heading past that.

If a airport code is [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with the P, your now clearing an aircraft for an approach.

there is so much more but that is the meat and potatoes.

Jason Helkenberg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Jason, were you hoping that these commands would be entered within vSTARS, like the real system, or would this be a separate application like TWRTrainer or ACSim?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Jason Helkenberg 913355
Posted
Posted

I would [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume it would have to be a separate program to create the scenario however if there was a TGT (Target Generator) within vSTARS to send to the remote program so that the only thing I would need to have open is vSTARS.

Jason Helkenberg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

How do they create the scenarios in the real system? I've used the real system to operate a scenario (using the commands you describe above) but I've never seen the scenario creation bit.

I would be open to adding a way to send RPO commands from vSTARS to a separate program if we could come up with something elegant for the communication protocol between vSTARS and your app.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC