You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Need testers for VRC 1.2.5

Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

I need some people to test out VRC version 1.2.5 before I officially release it. Version 1.2.5 fixes the errors that most users get at startup where it fails to perform a version check, and it fails to download an updated server list.

If those were the only changes, I would just go ahead and release it without any test period, but it's been so long since I last built a new version of VRC that a lot has changed in my development environment, so I would like to give 1.2.5 an open beta test period before making it the official stable release.

So, I would appreciate it if as many controllers as possible could download 1.2.5 and use it for actual live controlling on the network (or on Sweatbox) as much as possible, and let me know if you have any issues. If you do have problems, you can just install 1.2.4 over the top of 1.2.5 to get back to a stable version.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help test. You can grab 1.2.5 here:

http://www1.metacraft.com/VRC/files/VRCSetup1.2.5.exe

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted

WoW. Okay so , so far I have noticed that the new software loads very fast and finds 15 servers in the process. The initial load included three screens and they popped up almost simultaneously. Audio is clear, video seems "tighter" but it could just be my poor old eyes.

So, so far so good.

Ira Robinson

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted

Still no issues. I know I can't be the only one testing this out, so I guess everything is fine. Anyway, Ross, I haven't broken it yet

Ira Robinson

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Using it to control WorldFlight as we speak, so a decent stress test. Working flawlessly so far.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

only thing I've seen so far is the controller chat log not remembering its place when you load a profile

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
only thing I've seen so far is the controller chat log not remembering its place when you load a profile

Are you 100% sure previous versions saved the chat log position? Nothing changed in that code with v1.2.5.

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

Since the profiles were all older, i made a new one to test and see right quick.

Layout that should have saved

jaDCFz.png

How it loads

6IpofD.png

Richard Gerrish

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I understand the issue, what I'm asking is if you're sure that previous versions saved the chat log position. I suspect they did not, because nothing changed with that code. I'll test it myself when I get home.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Ran a test using custom 1.2.2 version for Supervisors (worded that way for OpSec since this is an open forum)

Opened Incoming Chat Log window

Saved profile

Closed VRC

Reopened VRC (custom 1.2.2 version for Supervisors)

Chat log was where I had saved it.

Richard, two questions:

1. Did you save the profile after putting your Incoming Chat Log window where you wanted it?

2. Are you running VRC as an Administrator? (not sure if that had anything to do with the price of tea, well, anywhere... Ross would know if that question were even applicable... But I often think of it when I think of challenges saving preferences)

Don Desfosse

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Just tested with 1.2.4 and the chat log position is not saved with the profile.

Don, you said it saved for you in 1.2.2? That seems odd because I can't imagine I would have removed the functionality. Are we talking about the same window? It's the "Incoming Chat Log" which shows all incoming chat from any user. I added it to benefit a blind user who was using a screen reader.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Correct -- Incoming Chat Log, as found as the bottom option under Tools.

So then I went to 1.2.5 but could not confirm what Richard saw. My Incoming Chat Log stayed where I put it *as long as I made sure I saved the profile after moving it*.

So then I reinstalled 1.2.4 but could not confirm what you saw. Again, my ICL stayed put after saving profile.

So then I checked my compatibility settings. My 1.2.2, 1.2.4 and 1.2.5 were all run as Administrator.

I then ran each version NOT as administrator and duplicated what both you and Richard saw -- the ICL moved.

SO.... the moral of the story is that if you want the ICL window to stay where you want it, run VRC as Administrator and save your profile after you've moved it where you want it.

Don Desfosse

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That suggests that the location is stored in the registry, not part of your profile in the VRC.ini file. You don't need to be an administrator to write to the ini file.

I'll check the code to confirm, but that's what I think is happening. And this did not change in the 1.2.5 beta ... it's always been that way.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yup, that's the deal ... it saves the location in the registry, not the profile. (Same as all private chat windows.) The registry key that VRC uses for this requires admin privileges. I'll put out a build that doesn't, so that all chat window positions will be saved.

Thanks for the help Don!

Edit: Note that the fact of whether or not the incoming chat log is visible IS stored in the profile, so you need to save the profile for the on/off state of the window to be saved. But the location will be saved even if you don't save the profile.

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

I've never had a need to run VRC with admin rights, and hadn't even thought to try it.

Richard Gerrish

• 3 weeks later...
Richard Quigley
Posted
Posted

Is there an upper limit on the number of regions that VRC will display or a proscription on the order of regions in the [REGION] section?

We have a sector file in which some regions are displaying and others are not. I understand that VRC sometimes has a problem with complex shapes but these regions are entire airfields.

I can send you the file if that helps.

Best Regards

Quig, C3, P1, VATPAC, CZQM (inact), CZQX (ret).

4200+ hrs of "Chaos, Panic & Disorder in your virtual skies!"

0.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Curious - have people been using 1.2.5? Any issues? Smooth sailing?

Don Desfosse

Kenneth Haught
Posted
Posted

Using it primarily for training and supervising, no issues to report as far as that goes.

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)

Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
Curious - have people been using 1.2.5? Any issues? Smooth sailing?

Yes, no, yes.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I've just released 1.2.6 for download. I bumped the version number to 1.2.6 because I added the fix for the chat window positions not being saved when VRC was run as a non-admin user.

http://www1.metacraft.com/VRC/download.shtml