You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Departure handoff after TO

Marco Scattola 1268044

Marco Scattola 1268044
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi everybody, I made 2 flights online and everything went well but I have a question. After takeoff if both tower and departure(or CTR) are online I will always receive an handoff by tower to contact next freq or in some airports I need to do that on my own?

Edited by Guest

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
After takeoff if both tower and departure(or CTR) are online I will always receive an handoff by tower to contact next freq or in some airports I need to do that on my own?

Most places you'll get the handoff. A few require you to make contact yourself -- normally indicated on terminal charts or airport information which can often be found on the virtual ACC or FIR website. Also, in places where you should get a handoff but don't because you get inadvertently forgotten, it's generally appropriate to switch on your own and check in. Finally, in situations where the same controller is covering Tower & Departure, it's often customary to check in with the altitude you're p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing, so they can radar-identify you and begin terminal area services.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Marco Scattola 1268044
Posted
Posted

Most places you'll get the handoff. A few require you to make contact yourself -- normally indicated on terminal charts or airport information which can often be found on the virtual ACC or FIR website. Also, in places where you should get a handoff but don't because you get inadvertently forgotten, it's generally appropriate to switch on your own and check in. Finally, in situations where the same controller is covering Tower & Departure, it's often customary to check in with the altitude you're p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing, so they can radar-identify you and begin terminal area services.

Thank you Robert!

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

I would like to add that if Tower tells you "runway XY, cleared for takeoff, bye bye!" you have a very good hint that you are to contact the next station on your own. The exact point of frequency depends on local procedures, that can be "immediately after takeoff" or "when p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing xxxx ft". As Rob pointed out, the only place to find out about this are SID-charts (I guess you know what "SID" means) and that's why it is sooooo important to check them each and every time you depart from an airport. ATC much appreciates it when pilots know what they are doing.

Marco Scattola 1268044
Posted
Posted
I would like to add that if Tower tells you "runway XY, cleared for takeoff, bye bye!" you have a very good hint that you are to contact the next station on your own. The exact point of frequency depends on local procedures, that can be "immediately after takeoff" or "when p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing xxxx ft". As Rob pointed out, the only place to find out about this are SID-charts (I guess you know what "SID" means) and that's why it is sooooo important to check them each and every time you depart from an airport. ATC much appreciates it when pilots know what they are doing.

Yes I also knew that charts tells you if you have to do so but I wasn't shure if vatsim was following this real world procedures or not.

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

For example, EHAM has a 'auto-handoff' procedure to Departure, unless otherwise instructed ('remain my frequency').

As a matter of fact, after landing you are supposed to switch to the proper GND frequency yourself.

Martijn

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted
As a matter of fact, after landing you are supposed to switch to the proper GND frequency yourself.
....in Amsterdam.

Ob....viously

(My favourite Snape quote )

Martijn

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
....in Amsterdam.

And Australia if you are Domestic, works both ways, you are supposed to auto switch to TWR on departure and GND on arrival.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

...same in New Zealand... and in other countries. I just wanted to express that there is no general rule. If in doubt, stay on your current frequency and enquire if nothing happens. Reading aerodrome charts normally takes away any doubt.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Happened to learn that during WorldFlight...

Me.