You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Multiple Mic inputs and outputs

Matt Graham 1420089

Matt Graham 1420089
Posted
Posted

Hello I was wondering if there is a way I could have multiple mic inputs and sound outputs. I know at the moment you can only have one with vpilot. Is there another software that will allow multiple mics preferably with a different ptt's for each mic. I just starter building a home cockpit and feel it is awkward and unnatural to only have one headset for the radios. Thanks in advance!

PS: Ross I love VPilot and would love to see this in a feature update.

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

The easiest thing to do in this case is to use an audio mixer (of either the software or the hardware variety) to take your headset inputs and present them to vPilot as a single output.

Depending on the nature of your project, your level of technical capability and the amount of money you are prepared to invest -- the 747 sim I have some involvement in uses a MOTU 8 (if I recall correctly) for all the audio including vPilot, with the advantage that it is software-controllable so when one pilot presses their PTT the other mics are automatically muted, for example.

On a more basic level you could use some audio mixing/routing software such as Voicemeeter Banana which will take multiple inputs and route them to multiple outputs but you are still stuck with one PTT (although you can of course map multiple buttons to the same keypress using FSUIPC etc if desired) -- not an entirely unrealistic situation as in many aircraft all the mics are indeed 'hot' when a PTT is pressed.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Matt Graham 1420089
Posted
Posted

The reason why I want only one mic to be active when ptt is pressed is because of echo. I've had issues previously where two mics are live and it echos all of the words spoken and it is annoying. I don't know if there is anyway to fix this. However, I found something called MK1 Audio Switch Box which allows multiple mics through one input in theory (http://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html). I like this but wonder if vpilot and windows will recognize this as only one input. For outputs I was thinking just a normal output splitter cable. I was wondering if you think this will work and if there is anyway to minimize echo just just using two mics over a input splitter cable? I really don't have the budget for an expensive audio mixer. Thanks again!