You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Question about ATC

Patrick Mattson 1441510

Patrick Mattson 1441510
Posted
Posted

Hello, new pilot here.

There's one thing I'm wondering about VATSIM right now.

When let's say, there's only a 'Tower' controller on. Do clearance and ground operations go through them?

Just want to get the right idea before I log on and say the wrong things.

Thanks!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
When let's say, there's only a 'Tower' controller on. Do clearance and ground operations go through them?

Yep. Just request your IFR clearance, then your taxi instructions, from the controller working Tower.

Just want to get the right idea before I log on and say the wrong things.

Nah, sometimes that's the quickest way to learn.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

Also, in addition to what Rob says, controllers on vatsim are top down, so anything "below" their level they cover; like you said clearance and ground are with tower. Centre controller does tower, ground, and clearance.

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

Like Robert puts it - the only way to get good at this is by actually logging on and making mistakes. I think everyone in here remembers when they started off, I sure do. VATSIM is a learning environment, not everyone are here to learn, but everyone here *can* learn.

Just as a tip, even though I say VATSIM is a learning environement, I highly suggest you to start off somewhere quiet. Many beginners start of in busy areas (I like using the UK as an example), which can cause trouble for the traffic arriving and departing into controlled airfields.

We have a great Pilot Resource Centre which you can find on https://vatsim.net/prc. To see the ATC coverage on the network currently, there are pages like vattastic.org or VAT-SPY which help you there.

Good luck!

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted
I think everyone in here remembers when they started off, I sure do.

"Hello, my name is XXXX XXXX and I'm one of VATSIM's Supervisors..."

Good old days haha

Me.