You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Interest in Creating VATSIM PIREP System

Eric Bolt

Eric Bolt
Posted
Posted

Hey All.

I had a neat idea today. Why not create a VATSIM-wide PIREP system for all pilots to see. Both Pilots and/or Controllers could enter PIREPs into the system and that way everyone could have an idea of what is going on.

Does anyone have any idea how to code or create such a thing? I would be willing to help as much as I can!

Thanks!

Eric R. Bolt

Alex Long
Posted
Posted

Eric, are you talking about a strictly weather related PIREP system? Not to be the downer on this, but it's been discussed in the past and the main roadblock that seems to come up is the wide variety of WX engines in use, and the lack of any consistency of WX in the platform (ex, a cloud in one sim won't be in the same place for two people even if they are using the same engine, etc.)

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

To be honest, no one has ever filed a PIREP on that site and here are a couple reasons why:

1) Why would pilots (or controllers) file a PIREP? In other words what would motivate them to take the time to do this?

2) Reporting a pirep in the correct format is not easy and not many pilots will know how to do it (although it is a valuable skil to learn)

I did start to work on a solution to #2 with drop down menus that would make the job easier but I have not gone back to it in ages (considering #1 from the list above).

If anyone wants to help or has any ideas, please let me know and I'd be happy to pick this project up again

Josh

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller