You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FLAi and helicopters

Romano Lara

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Just wondering if the FLAi team are keen to adding basic helicopter models in the future?

I'm pretty sure I showed up as a floating Bombardier to one aircraft the other night..

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

I believe we do have a basic helicopter model that should match most helicopter models. If you're not finding that's the case, please let us know the type code you used so we can add it.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

I was just [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that (did not show up correctly)...since I checked the FLAi folders and there was none for a Bell 412 (B412). Or is there?

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted
I was just [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that (did not show up correctly)...since I checked the FLAi folders and there was none for a Bell 412 (B412). Or is there?

I think we only have 1-2 helicopter models, but I'm not 100% sure offhand. As I recall, it's very challenging to locate helicopter models that play well as AI.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

Is there a listing of what models "should" show up? IVAO MTL has their "catolog" which does that for IVAO side of things. I'm not comparing the two but when there are errors that come when i'm out and about I like to drill down to find out why. For instance this weekend I was in Atlantic Canada on vatsim and a Kape Air Virtual pilot showed up. He was in a CRJ200 rather than the usual C404/402. FLAi plunked him in said C404 which was curious to me as the pilot had CRJ2 under the vPilot ".aircraft" command. So I dug into the model matching rules for FLAi and it appears it forces ANY Kape Air callsign into the light twin...

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

We don't have a list of what models are available because there are over 100 of them (and more than 2,000 liveries). The development team, of which I am not a member, has elected to spend their time on adding more models and liveries, and tweaking model matching rules, rather than creating such a list. I can understand why: with the amount of change that happens, requests we get from VAs, etc., I'm sure it would be time-consuming to maintain such a list.

They are also VATSIM members and presumably read the forums, but I'll p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] on the comment for consideration.

It sounds like you're already familiar with reading the model matching .cfg file, so that should point you to the right direction if you are wondering about a specific aircraft. In the case of Cape Air, pilots are not supposed to use "KAP" when flying anything turbo (I think their identifier should be "KAE") so our logic there is that if someone is going to fly Cape Air, they should show up in (as close as possible to) an airplane that is actually flown/operated by Cape Air.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter