You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATIS Information

Jamie Hill 1445884

Jamie Hill 1445884
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Sort of new to the VATSIM network, before I jump into my first flight. I was just wondering how to obtain ATIS if there is no ATIS information available at a certain airport but the airport is under control. How and what would I say while getting clearance if there is no ATIS available.

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

There is no ATIS if ATC is offline.

What you can look at is the METAR. This is the current aerodrome weather information, and makes up for a large portion of the ATIS. However what you won't get is the active runway in use, NOTAM's etc etc.. but you don't need that either. If you do not know the runway configuration system for that airport, just work off the winds. Choose the runway numbers which is closest to the wind direction reported in the METAR. Just remember to report your intentions on UNICOM and coordinate with the other pilots.

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Jamie Hill 1445884
Posted
Posted

Ok, thanks for the help.

If there is ATC online at an airport but there is no ATIS available, what would I say in my clearance? Would I just leave the "Information ____" bit out or how would I overcome this.

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

ATC is only allowed one ATIS connection at a time, so if he's controlling multiple airports, you might run into the problem you are describing.

What you can do then is to tell him "ready to copy weather information for XXXX" or "request weather information for XXXX".

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Jamie Hill 1445884
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it. Excited to do my first flight on the network.

Kenneth Haught
Posted
Posted

You can also, in the U.S. at least, usually get by with stating you "have the numbers", [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you've either checked the ATIS/METAR in flight sim, or if you're using a program such as Active Sky which gives you an AWOS readout. (FAA 7110.65W 3-9-1) But certainly if you want us to give you the current weather, we generally do during the clearance phase after you've read back the IFR clearance.

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)

Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Jamie,

welcome to VATSIM! If you are able to receive a METAR for point of departure, then you don't need to ask ATC for "airfield information". Simply ask them for your IFR clearance, maybe also you want to mention the altimeter setting or QNH that you have obtained from the airfield's METAR. This will give ATC an indication that you have already checked for it. ATC should then simply provide you with an IFR clearance that will either include the runway in use or contain an SID that is tied to a specific runway. This will answer your question: which is runway is use.

Jamie Hill 1445884
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the addition replies all, the main reason for asking was during IFR clearance you have to state what ATIS you have tuned to.

An extra question I had is, I usually like to plan my flights the night before I fly. Is there an easy way to see a map with all bookings for atc at a certain time.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

1) "report ATIS" is, of course, only valid at airfield that offer such a service. Even in the real world not all airports offer ATIS and ATC will tell you the active runway, pressure setting and whatever they feel is important, when you call in. So, in the absence of an ATIS, just report who you are, where you are, what you want: "Radar, Airline1234, stand xyz at ABCDE, request clearance".

2) For ATC bookings you should consult VATBOOK. There's a website showing bookings: http://www.atcbooking.com/

Alternatively I can recommend installing a great freeware software called Qutescoop: https://sourceforge.net/projects/qutescoop/

When you have started the program, just hit CTRL-F8 and you can see all ATC-bookings in a tabular format. If you then modify the date and time for your intended time of departure or arrival, you'll see a filtered version of those bookings. Now, if you click on the button "warp to" on the top right corner, you'll be able to see all those booked ATC-positions on the map, too!

However, sadly not all ATCOs will announce their presence, even for planned events, so you can and should combine the information from VATBOOK with announcements for special and weekly events.

VATSIM's Event Calendar: https://www.vatsim.net/events

For local/weekly events you need to consult local websites, for example (just a small selection)

Jamie Hill 1445884
Posted
Posted

Thank you.

I'll try vatbook and qutescoop now.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
the main reason for asking was during IFR clearance you have to state what ATIS you have tuned to.

Normally when I'm departing a field without an ATIS running (which is common, particularly at medium-sized and smaller airfields), when I request my IFR clearance, for "... with Information {ATIS}" I'll substitute "... we have the weather."

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• 3 years later...
Kirk Royster
Posted
Posted

Do the VATSIM ATC personnel use real world weather reporting?  Reason for my question is that for about 50 US airports, there is the ATIS App that provides textual active ATIS information.  This is pulled from real ATIS reporting from the airports that are integrated.

So if I have this ATIS information, is it valid for reference in VATSIM flights/communication?

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Kirk,

no, it will not. The weather information in the VATSIM-ATIS is based on the latest METAR from each airport, but that's all about real world weather reporting. You will need to read or listen to the virtual ATIS at VATSIM to get the relevant information.

Kirk Royster
Posted
Posted

I recently flew into Detroit Metro using Unicom as there was no ATC coverage at the time.  So basically, I pick any of the four (parallel) runways (3/4 or 21/22) based on the METAR reported winds?  For a longer flight the winds could change significantly based on weather systems.  There was a flight taxiing for takeoff at the time of my landing, but they were headed to the same runway opposite direction.  My understanding is ... use Unicom to communicate.  But if I find out that they're intending to take off in the opposite direction as I'm on final approach, then they need to wait for me to land and exit the runway, and there is no basis for any conflict/frustration on their part.

Correct?  Context is, my desire to avoid conflicts to the full degree.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Correct. If you make your announcements on UNICOM (don't forget: the range of voice on 122.800 is limited to 15 NM around each transmitter/pilot) and the other pilots don't listen/coordinate, then you cannot be blamed for landing on the runway that you find most suitable for current weather conditions. And: in the end nobody can get hurt, we are only moving bits and bytes.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

If there's no VATSIM ATC operating at a given airport, using the real-world d-ATIS as a guide isn't a bad idea.  But it isn't mandatory.  There are some pilots who will get unduly bent if you land on any runway you choose, but the reality is that when a Bravo airport has no ATC, the runway choice is totally up to each pilot, period.

It's just not that realistic a situation (even during weird COVID shutdowns, Bravo airports had SOME level of ATC) and pilots should simply temper their expectations for realism a bit.

• Like 2

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png