You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Squawkbox 4.0 in FS9 (FS2004)

Mike Lehkamp

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Am I right to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that FS9 users cannot see other Vatsim aircraft using Squawkbox 4.0?

Thanks for anyone's help.

Mike

1.jpg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

No, Mike, not at all. FS9 users can see other members on VATSIM. That's actually why SB was written.

Years ago, I wrote a FAQ and Troubleshooting Guide. Here was the relevant section for not being able to see and/or hear any multiplayer aircraft. Hope it helps.

Q: I can't see and/or hear any multiplayer aircraft.

A: While on the ground and you know there is traffic around you (by using a situational awareness tool such as VATSpy, Servinfo, vattastic.com, etc., or asking ATC), type .cheat model in the SB command line. It will report back if there are other aircraft online in the area (though not necessarily on the airport). If the result shows aircraft but you can't see them, chances are you don't have models set up properly (Start > Options > Multiplayer and make sure you have Model Sets listed in the Model Set Order Preference section). If the result is null, something is likely blocking the connection.

If you suspect a blocked connection:

1. Ensure your firewall/antivirus allows Squawkbox (i.e., Squawkbox listed as an exception so it's not blocked)

2. Ensure you've forwarded TCP port 6809 and UDP port 3290 in your router (if using a router)

3. Disable uPNP in your router (if using a router)

4. If using FS2004, see below regarding multiplayer not connecting automatically

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

• 4 weeks later...
Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Don, you sir are the best! Thank you so much.

Michael

1.jpg

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted
No, Mike, not at all. FS9 users can see other members on VATSIM. That's actually why SB was written.

Years ago, I wrote a FAQ and Troubleshooting Guide. Here was the relevant section for not being able to see and/or hear any multiplayer aircraft. Hope it helps.

Q: I can't see and/or hear any multiplayer aircraft.

A: While on the ground and you know there is traffic around you (by using a situational awareness tool such as VATSpy, Servinfo, vattastic.com, etc., or asking ATC), type .cheat model in the SB command line. It will report back if there are other aircraft online in the area (though not necessarily on the airport). If the result shows aircraft but you can't see them, chances are you don't have models set up properly (Start > Options > Multiplayer and make sure you have Model Sets listed in the Model Set Order Preference section). If the result is null, something is likely blocking the connection.

If you suspect a blocked connection:

1. Ensure your firewall/antivirus allows Squawkbox (i.e., Squawkbox listed as an exception so it's not blocked)

2. Ensure you've forwarded TCP port 6809 and UDP port 3290 in your router (if using a router)

3. Disable uPNP in your router (if using a router)

4. If using FS2004, see below regarding multiplayer not connecting automatically

Don,

I'm still having problem seeing other aircraft and frankly I'm ignorant on what I should be seeing. Do they display as just like an AI aircraft should (without) labels enabled? Or do they appear completely different? I used the instruction manual you provided and I'm confident I have SB4 in FS9 setup as you instructed.

I guess what I'm attempting to inquire on is how do I setup FS9 Multiplayer. When I go to that its asking for an address etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael

1.jpg

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted
Mike,

forget about Squawkbox, try swift! The OPEN Beta phase has started last night, so you are welcome to install and test it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78453

Andreas,

I spent the better part of 3 hours this evening trying to get Swift to work. I could never get further than the area inwhich you designate your own aircraft type. I entered and/or selected just about everything relevant but it always said "Error Missing Model String" or something to that effect. Swift appears to be a very complex application. I fear it might warrant a degree in computer science.

I will keep trying and thank you for the referral.

Michael

1.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

No, swift is really easy to use. You just need to get the hang of it, then you'll be fine.

Best if you post your support-request directly in the swift forum, then you'll have a better chance of people helping you with it. Or join us on Discord.

EDIT: My best advice would be: join us on Discord, if you have that piece of software installed: https://discordapp.com/invite/R7Atd9A

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Andreas,

Again many thanks. Joined Discord and had a great exchange with Klaus. Super nice and un[Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming.

Thanks again,

Michael

1.jpg