Could not initialize TargetManager

w9yams.png

Someone posted a topic regarding this issue in the VSTARs support forms however the question was not ansered for windows 10. Anyone else encounter this error? I get a similair error when starting vSTARs as well however VRC works just fine.

Any thoughts?

Vince Acres - 1145296

ZAU Facility Engineer

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a package is missing thanks to MS.

what version of directx are you running at the moment?

You might need to try installing an older version of DX or see if you can find the DLL on an older Windows 7 / 8 machine.

Will dig around a bit and see what I can find out.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

• 7 months later...

Just had this issue surface on a new machine (for both vERAM and vSTARS, although the error was slightly different in vSTARs presented as "Could not initialize SoundManager").

If anyone else runs across it, make sure your machine is on the latest version of Windows 10 (I was on build 1809 and just completed the upgrade to 1909) and re-run the installer making sure to check the box to run the "Direct X Update" in the installer - It should work after that.

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

• 2 months later...

Tally Ho!

Not ten minutes after my previous post I found the solution -- DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

From the Microsoft website:

The Microsoft DirectX® End-User Runtime installs a number of runtime libraries from the legacy DirectX SDK for some games that use D3DX9, D3DX10, D3DX11, XAudio 2.7, XInput 1.3, XACT, and/or Managed DirectX 1.1. Note that this package does not modify the DirectX Runtime installed on your Windows OS in any way.

Andrew Morkunas

Twitch: padre_andrew ATC Simulations

Andrew, you posted in a thread about an error initializing the TargetManager, but DirectX shouldn't have anything to do with the TargetManager. Was it actually the SoundManager that was erroring for you? I can't tell from your screenshots because they are broken images.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ahh, okay, it is the SoundManager in both cases, but with vERAM, the SoundManager is initialized indirectly via the TargetManager, where as with vSTARS, the SoundManager is directly initialized.

Note that both clients include the DirectX installer with the client installer. Did the DirectX installer run when you installed the clients?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC