You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

"Runway to Holland" event, from a newbie's point of view.

Orjan Polman

Orjan Polman
Posted
Posted

Hello gentlemen.

I just participated in my first event ever on Vatsim, the "Runway to Holland".

Made a short hop in the 777 from ENGM, and the nerves certainly increased to some gigantic levels when seeing and listening to all the traffic buzzing around. (but still a bit cool)

Luckily I brought about 1,5 hours of exstra fuel, there was a 15-20 minute delay because of the traffic and we were put in a hold at SUGOL while being stepped down. (oh yeah, this is quite a nice experience!)

But I never expected that it should be like this, because this was just perfect!

And I never got to say thank you to the people who guided us down so perfectly, I had quite enough with handling everything so I forgot...

ATC did a fantastic job sorting all that traffic, really professional and effective IMO!

So to all you guys who where a part of the ATC in Amsterdam tonight from Control to Ground:

A m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive and sincere thank you for making my first event so awesome and eventful!

No one mentioned, no one forgotten.

It is more appreciated than you think, and it sure gives me the confidence to join a lot more of these events!

Cheers,

Orjan.

Regards

Orjan Polman

Kim de Winter
Posted
Posted

Hello friend, and welcome to the eventful world of.. er.. events!

As one of the GND controllers at that event, it's delightful to see that all our hard work and training pays off in the way of pilots having fun! Sometimes we have discussions whether our training standards might be a bit on the strict side, but pilot stories like yours show that it's all worth it in the end, and are the kerosine in our tanks that keep us going

Also if you haven't yet, take a look at http://www.dutchvacc.nl (pilots->pilot briefing), we have a lovely short pilot briefing there for anyone who visits. There's even a section explains the standard departure/arrival procedure for VFR flights at Schiphol(if you ever see my name on EHAM_M_TWR, feel free to come fly VFR).

Thank you and we hope to see you again in the future!

Friendly regards,

Kimmy

Orjan Polman
Posted
Posted

Hello Kimmy!

Yes, I recognize your name from the event.

You have also guided me 2-3 times to the RWY before, when I did some departures to train myself.

To be totally honest with you , this event is the most fun I've had with my clothes on...!

Whatever you guys are doing, keep doing it because you have a winning recipe there as far as I'm concerned!

I have also heard streamers like "Chewwy94" saying in several streams how "top notch as usual" ATC was at Schiphol.

That has to count for something..

The pilot briefing was printed out quite some time ago, safely placed next to me whenever I am going online

I mostly fly IFR, but if I go VFR I sure will look for you on VAT-Spy.

You will see me again for sure.

Schiphol is kind of my main hub as I am dutch, but I am living in Norway an hour from ENGM.

And my VA also involves KLM.

Thanks again for the experience, see you soon!

Cheers,

Orjan.

Regards

Orjan Polman

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted (edited)

As a Dutch VACC controller, I can tell you that we (controllers) love this event as well. Especially when working TWR, and you can get into this 'flow' of constantly squeezing one departure between two arrivals gives quite a thrill. Obviously to make this work puts quite some pressure on the APP/ARR team (creating the proper separation) as well as the pilots (lining up immediatly after the landing aircraft p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es your holding point).

I hope to see you next time!

Martijn

Edited by Guest

Orjan Polman
Posted
Posted

I can only imagine, but I totally believe you! Has to be a pretty rewarding feeling when everything flows

But that depends on everybody being ready for the next step, all the time..

When I was on final for 36C, the frequency was extremely busy. And I didn't get a chance to report to TWR.

I was moving my hand to the G/A button getting ready for a missed approach, then all of a sudden the controller interrupted another pilot and cleared me to land... Now that was awesome!

The fun thing about it is that not one aircraft is AI. I have to get used to that thought...

I will surely be on every EHAM event that I possibly can! This was great fun!

Cheers,

Orjan.

Regards

Orjan Polman