You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

3 quick "Vic the noob" questions?

Victor Buck 923077

Victor Buck 923077
Posted
Posted

Searched for the first one all over, here, DC3 Airways and the SB forums, with no real luck.

As I said, I was planning on using my DC3 Airways DC3 for my first logon to vatsim...and my plan was to enter a comment to the controller that I wished to just silently "observe" on this occasion...just sit and listen and get an idea of how things are done.

I installed SB3 and was following all the "Software Setup" steps from the PRC docomeent. I got to the part of adding the aircraft...no problem, "DC-3". I then went to choose an "airline" but could not find "DC3 Airways" anywhere in the list. The other "strangeness" is that my "Livery" selection drop down is greyed out. I tried changing between the 2 model sets I had listed (SB3 default and VIP) with no change in either the airline list or the "Livery" choice being greyed out.

Now I did find SOME info during these searches.

1. I got the impression that neither "DC3 Airways" nor their liveries are available in SB3, as of the last post I saw.

2. I saw a few references to "How" SB3 was installed (perhaps I used the wrong choice...but I have only 1 machine...which is what I chose?), and got the impression that I should have the "Livery" drop down available, if not for DCA, then for other VA airlines?

3. Lastly, as an "observer" only, how would controllers prefer I log on? I understand to put this in the "Comment" section, but what about FP...leave blank?

Again, I here your "sighs"...but very much appreciate your patience and your help.

Vic

"I'm a man...but I can change...if I have to...I guess"

The Man's Prayer

Red Green

Steven Rogers 901202
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure about the first two, but I can definately answer question 3.

As a controller myself, I can tell you I like flightplans regardless of what you are doing, just so I know. So if you are just observing, put "observing" or something along those lines in both route and remarks.

Victor Buck 923077
Posted
Posted

You got it, Steven. That's what I'll do.

"I'm a man...but I can change...if I have to...I guess"

The Man's Prayer

Red Green

Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted

As for 1 and 2:

th airline drop-down on SB3 contains a huge number of real world airlines who happen to be flown often on Vatsim. DC3 Airways is a Virtual Airline (with no RW counterpart) so it, as many other VA's, won't show in the default SB3 list. This is normal and OK, it wont prevent you from flying online or be seen by other pilots and controllers. The only drawback is that those other pilots won't see your plane with DC3 Airways' livery but a standard livery that comes with the VIP modelset (the infamous VIP Livery... white with a blue stripe and "VIP" on the tail).

I haven't done this yet, but there is a way to add your airline to the modelset. You can find more information (and probably more educated users able to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist you) on the Squawkbox 3 Forum located at www.squawkbox.ca

Cheers!

Javier Larroulet (C3) - Chile vACC

18.png

Norm Hare 907837
Posted
Posted

Vic...

As far as livery, I left you a reply on DC3 Airways forum