You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help!!!!

Robbie Goldberg 955962

Robbie Goldberg 955962
Posted
Posted

Hi,

My name is Robbie and i am happy to be a part of vatsim north america- United States ATC. I was reading some of the reading telling you how to sign up, what software you need, etc... When i was reading it told that my region/ division leaders would asign me training and things to do. I am a pilot in the real world and i thought i would give it a try to put myself in the controll tower. I'm just a little confused on this and i was woundering if anyone can help. I just downloaded ASRC and i was woundering if thats all i need to download.

Thanks and i hope to here from you soon.

Robbie Goldberg 955962
Posted
Posted

Im sorry for all these questions but as i click on the ASRC configurator its telling me i need a position name. Im very desprate for help and once again i apologize for all this h[Mod - Happy Thoughts]al.

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

Hi Robbie, welcome to VATSIM.

You only need ASRC to start with, though once you start controlling there are other useful programs which make your life easier. At this stage you should be connecting as an observer and watching what goes on. You don't need ASRC configurator, as you can set everything in ASRC itself. There's a walkthrough of setting up to observe called the "ASRC Observers Guide" which you can find at www.vatsim-uk.org - just click on ATC training and scroll down to the section marked Training Manuals.

By the way, this forum is for a specific piece of software for practical training called Sweatbox which your instructors will use. I'd suggest posting further questions about getting started in either the Controllers or ASRC forums

Ruth

VATGOV7

Vice President - Communications.

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Robbie Goldberg 955962
Posted
Posted

ok i did read most of the manual but i have a question. When i try to connect to become an observer its asking for a Callsign ( Do i make one up)-- A Tag (Not sure what that is)-- Rating ( I guess at this point in time i can put it as a observer)-- Real name ( Ill put my name)-- Server ( im not sure what servers there are)-- Facility (Observer)-- Certificate ID ( Do i have one or is that the one from VATSIM i have)-- P[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word ( My VATSIM p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word) Once again this is alot and im sorry just im very lost and i am desprate for help. thank you.

Also how do i set my ATIS it dosnt really give the greatest example how to do it. very confused : )

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

Robbie,

Callsign is RG_OBS (First and last name initials, then _OBS to signify observing)

Ignore Tag

Rating is Observer

Server - you can choose one close to you (USA ones while within the US, Canada, etc). It does not matter what server you choose though, you can see all the traffic regardless

Your Certificate ID is 955962 - CID for short

Leave ATIS for now - its used when you're actively controlling, not observing

Robbie Goldberg 955962
Posted
Posted

ok got it, thanks for all the help.

Robbie Goldberg 955962
Posted
Posted

Im sorry but one last question. When i log on it tells me im in but i have a sector load error and a bad device. Why is this? i have done everything right. I do not have any sector files. I have a blank black screen with no signs of any aircrafts or comunications. All i want to do is observe. There is no chat menu appearing when i sign on. Is that a problem? At VATSIM-UK they say " You will now see aircraft positions appear on the map. You have successfully logged on! " ok i think you get the point. please get back to me thank you. Sorry for all the H[Mod - Happy Thoughts]el.