You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Transmit button won’t light up

Matt Clary 1243153

Matt Clary 1243153
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I’ve struggled long enough with this problem so hoping to find an answer here. My problem is not being able to transmit audio through my headset. This is a “one day it worked, the next day it didn’t” problem so I can’t blame it on systems or software changes I made. When I am tuned to a live frequency, I can hear other people and see the rx button light up. However, when I try to speak I get nothing. No blue light over the tx button, no audio received by others. I know the PTT works because I hear the bzz sound when I switch to an offline frequency. I’ve tried multiple headsets with the same results. My computer system recognizes my audio input which is the same input [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned in Vpilot. Basically I’ve eliminated software (reinstalled Vpilot), PTT button, aircraft used and the headset. I think I’ve narrowed it down to a calibration issue. Every time I go through the process, I get “Results: SpeechDrownedOut, Squelch: 1.00”. I’ve tried different combinations to get a different result from turning off the mic during the silent cal to being very loud during the speaking cal and everything in between. I’m at a loss, maybe there is something different I can try? Would love to hear what others think. Thanks!

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

- Run both the sim and vPilot in admin mode.

- Check the aircraft's radio panel, vPilot reads this and sets up the frequencies accordingly. The MIC select button and volume knobs needs to be set in the right way.

- Check that the correct sound device is selected in vPilot settings, Wave is usually a safer bet than directsound.

- Check Windows sound settings and verify max mic volume selected, boost options on if available.

The two first items above are the ones that will be related to the TX light. The two others are related to the voice test. If vPilot is not run in admin mode, it might not be able to read the PTT unless vPilot is the active window. And if you have the frequency set on the "wrong" radio, you might only be listening, not having an active mic set for it.

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Also this, from 4 days ago: search.php?search_id=egosearch

• 1 month later...
Matt Clary 1243153
Posted
Posted

I think I’ve found a solution to the TX problem. I wish I had been a little more thorough in my troubleshooting to know exactly what fixed the problem but I’m pretty sure it was on the windows side. I started very simple and made sure my machine could recognize an input device. I was able to speak and see the meter respond accordingly through the sound window (search manage audio devices and click on recording). I also allowed the apps on my computer to access my mic. Somehow through an update, mic access gets denied until you allow it. While I didn’t see Vpilot or FSX specifically listed in the apps, it may have allowed these programs access to ultimately solve the problem. Search “microphone privacy settings” and turn the toggle switch on. I also ran through the Cortana (windows Alexa?) troubleshooter on ability to hear me through my selected device and a couple changes were made inside the troubleshooter. I’m not sure this resolved anything but worth a try if all else fails. I then restarted the computer, recalibrated my mic on Vpilot and all of the sudden my calibration resulted in something different than “Results: SpeechDrownedOut, Squelch: 1.00”. Tailoring the sound settings through the windows sounds panel I was able to confirm a 5/5 through a different audio platform (teamspeak3) and eventually on the vpilot server. I think following the advice from above also contributed to resolving this issue as I wasn’t running Vpilot as an administrator. I hope this helps someone in the future. Appreciate those that replied!

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Great stuff figuring it out and posting the solution, too often googling problems sends me to dead threads with the same symptos but no solution.

Some of the things Microsoft is doing with Win10 is driving me nuts, it's clear that they want to replace the old property window system for managing settings and admin stuff, but what they end up doing is putting half-complete user interfaces that restrict functionality and reduce the ease of locating the old property windows, while it's clear that some settings can only be accessed forcing through the new UI and finding the old window. Really grinds my gears.