You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Need a Little Help With Charts Please

phil symonds 1210804

phil symonds 1210804
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys

Although I've been simming for many years, its only very recently i've started delving into real world routes, examining charts and looking into VATSIM.

However, I seem to be getting confused by what are no doubt very simple questions...

Would you please be kind enough to take a look at this very short flightplan, using airac data 1906

EGCC/23L KUXEM1Y KUXEM P17 NOKIN N862 RETSI BRI1A EGGD/27 (from Simbrief)

What I'm struggling to understand, is how I'd transition from the BRI1A STAR, onto for example the RNAV approach for RW27 (or even just ILS27) at EGGD. Would I simply expect to be vectored, or am I missing something really obvious?

I do have a Navigraph subscription, so can check anything I'm told.

Thanks guys

Orjan Polman
Posted
Posted

Hello Phil.

I'm no expert, but I'll give it a go

The BRI1A STAR ends at the "BRI" NDB.

If you look at the ILS27 chart, from the BRI you make a teardrop left around to line up and capture the ILS for the approach.

As for the RNAV, I would guess you'd get vectored to the Initial Approach Fix BAXUN and resume own navigation from there.

Hope it helped

Regards

Orjan Polman

Phillip Speer
Posted
Posted

Hi Phil,

Most STARs in the UK end at a holding fix and don't have published transitions to the final approach (exceptions being EGLC, EGKB and EGNT). Usually ATC will vector you before reaching the holding fix but the published hold is a fail-safe to ensure that you can hold if any issues/delays.

The procedural ILS approach mentioned by Orjan is the full approach but wouldn't usually be used in normal circomestances but are again a backup in case needed (e.g.: radar failure). Some airports have apparent transitions published e.g. EGLL but these are initial approach procedures in absence of radar and designed to allow the busier airports to operate at reduced capacity.

Phillip

VATSIM UK Divisional Instructor

phil symonds 1210804
Posted
Posted

Many thanks guys.

So at times like this if flying online but with no ATC, would I simply vector myself?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
Many thanks guys.

So at times like this if flying online but with no ATC, would I simply vector myself?

Or go into a hold until one logs on...

Errr, sorry. Yes, that's correct. In the US, controllers typically give you vectors to the Final Approach course, but there is also the possibility of flying the full procedure from a published initial or feeder leg. When air traffic control is not online, you can kind of do either, based on your knowledge or mood. As a courtesy you should text your intentions over 122.8 just so other pilots know what to expect you to do.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png