You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Flight Plan Altitude

Shane O'Neill

Shane O'Neill
Posted
Posted

Hello. When filing a flight plan in Swift, it requires to put "ft" for feet after the altitude. When I do this, air traffic control has issues with seeing the altitude on their end. For example, when I file 6000 ft on Swift, it comes up on ATC's flight plan as "6000t". Also when I filed 10000 ft once, ATC said there was nothing there at all. Is this a known?

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Shane,

I just tested it with an ATCO using Euroscope as radar-client. I filed flightplans with "5000ft", "A050" and also with "10000ft" and the ATCO had it displayed correctly either as 5000ft or as 10000ft.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Just wondering out loud... Is it perhaps an issue with the space character? OP reported he filed as "6000 ft" and "10000 ft", yet Andreas reports testing without a space character, e.g. "5000ft" and 10000ft". I wonder what would happen if Andreas tested with "5000 ft" and 10000 ft".... [/wonderingoutloud]

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Good point, Don! Let me tell the team! At the moment the swift-team is considering dropping the unit (characters) altogether.

By the way, when you click on the question mark next to field 7. cruising altitude you will open the Altitude dialog.

swift_06262019_003129.jpg

swift_06262019_003125.jpg

As you can see, I only inserted "5000" in the dialog and it resulted in "5000ft" in the flightplan.

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Thread hijack: Can we please remove "kts" from TAS, and make three digits default to mean knots as it always has? If someone's flying a A320 filed at 950, we understand from context they've filed km/h. The org/dest will also provide a clue. And also please make TAB switch from Route to the next field, not actually do text editor tab spaces in the text field. Making stuff more keyboard friendly makes my arm hurt less Thanks!