You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.
PLEASE READ - Webmaster Support Forum
This forum will be retired in the near future. Please direct all queries to our dedicated GitHub support page https://github.com/vatsimnetwork/developer-info/discussions 
Here you can find documentation on our services and we are continuing to migrate pertinent information into the Wiki pages https://github.com/vatsimnetwork/developer-info/wiki

Question to all involved in Web (locally vACC and so on)

Martin Stockzell 1294494

Martin Stockzell 1294494
Posted
Posted

Just a quick question regarding web hosting. What are you guys using? Someone's private server? A VPS? Other type of hosting?

And do you pay for it? If so, how much? And how do you pay (ie. where does the money come from; donations, out of pocket and so forth)

Thanks for the feedback!

Martin Stockzell

Director - ACCSCA1 | VATSIM Scandinavia

VATSIM Network Supervisor

GIORGIO Tresoldi
Posted
Posted

Hi Martin,

we have a friend that gives us VPS in his datacenter for free. Unfortunately I don't know the retail value. If you use TeamSpeak this is a valuable solution as it allows to have full control on your TS server, on the other hand taking care manually of the Web Server config, etc. is pretty annoying.

Maybe it would make sense (at least at a VATEUD level) to unify web services and get together, possibly we could all save some money...

Giorgio

Giorgio Tresoldi C3 I1 P1P2P4 ID:967456

ACCIT7 VATITA Membership coordinator

Andrey Prokhorov
Posted
Posted

We're using VPS from DigitalOcean which costs us $10/mo. Money are coming 50/50 from pocket and donations.

Andrey Prokhorov
vACC Ukraine

vacc_ua_logo_small.png.c87ab1be9839e7b9c5c1a45da5280936.png

• 7 months later...
Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted

This is an old thread, but for what it's worth:

In my vACC we use Dreamhost. It would regularly cost USD 120 per year (some of which you'd be able to reduce if people sign up with your referral code).

In our case we get it for free because I have an old account which I use (and pay for) for other non vatsim-related stuff. Since Dreamhost offers "unlimited everything" (unlimited sites, domains, databases, space, transfer, etc) I just piggyback on my own account and set up the site at no cost for my vACC.

For the requirements of my vACC, the site's performance is more than acceptable, especially considering the cost

If you need a more robust solution, I'd recommend DigitalOcean or Linode. You can get basic VPS servers for as little as USD 10 per month (roughly the same USD 120 per year) but you'll need to be a little bit more involved in setting up the server so it works (but you get root access to your server). The upside is that should you ever need more server resources, it's easier to grow your infrastructure (both in terms of server resources or number of servers... e.g., you could pay a little more for a server with more CPUs or memory, or you could set up your database on a separate server, or you could even set up a load balancer and have multiple application servers in case your site had too much traffic for just one server to handle the load)

Having said that, if you have a simple low-traffic website, Dreamhost's shared hosting would be more than enough.

I'm not sure if posting a referral code to save you 50 dollars in your first year would be acceptable here though. If it is, I'd be more than happy to provide one for anyone who needs it (full disclosure: using my referral code would give you 50 dollars off your first year and would also give me 50 dollars off my next renewal)

Javier Larroulet (C3) - Chile vACC

18.png

Daniel Lange
Posted
Posted

I can add that Vatsim Scandinavia uses Contabo.com, we pay 5€/monthly, so 60€/yearly for our VPS.

Four cores

8 GB RAM

200 GB (SSD)

Running Ubuntu

Very reasonable price, and we're very happy with the quality of the 6 months we've used them as the host. It requires of course that you're familiar with Linux and can maintain your own server and setup everything.

Daniel Lange

Web Services Director
Vatsim Scandinavia

[email protected]

Martin Stockzell 1294494
Posted
Posted
I can add that Vatsim Scandinavia uses Contabo.com, we pay 5€/monthly, so 60€/yearly for our VPS.

Four cores

8 GB RAM

200 GB (SSD)

Running Ubuntu

Very reasonable price, and we're very happy with the quality of the 6 months we've used them as the host. It requires of course that you're familiar with Linux and can maintain your own server and setup everything.

Martin Stockzell

Director - ACCSCA1 | VATSIM Scandinavia

VATSIM Network Supervisor

• 3 weeks later...
Wildan Gunawan
Posted
Posted

Indonesia vACC uses a paid hosting named IDCloudHost that hosted in Indonesia. The price? So cheap than most hosting, especially Southeast Asia. It's only about ~ USD$1/month for their lowest shared hosting spec (1GB RAM, 1 core CPU, 1GB storage, and unlimited bandwidth), but mostly there is a promo. Since it's so cheap, we have no problem with the payment, mostly it's from our staff.

I can recommend this hosting, the only problem that it's using bahasa Indonesia as their landing page. But at Client Area, they use WHMCS, so still support English. Plus, they have many data centers, such as Singapore, London, and Jakarta as well.

Ps. You can actually pay with Paypal, so it should not be a problem if you're not located in Indonesia.